I have a dilemma with my KLX250

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't explained myself correctly, I don't want to become a pro racer or anything like that, I just want to do some occasional races on hobby class or something like this (and when that time comes I will definitely need a new bike!!).

What I want to know is this: Is my KLX a good machine to learn the very basics in offroad or should I just sell it and invest in a more off-road oriented model?

I won't be jumping around with this motorcycle (I don't even like MX that much, I'm much more into Enduro and Rally Raid), I will spend most of my time in the woods doing some trails.

What mods should I do to make the KLX more off-road capable?

Old 11-14-2019, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

The KLX suits the needs of learning off road basics and you can do okay in some amateur racing. Many here on the forum have raced or currently do race their KLX. Racers will tell you: "it's not the bike, it's the rider."

I'd say first is protection. For you, boots, helmet, gloves, and protective gear. For the bike, hand guards, skid plate and many tanks of fuel. Ride it.

Do as Klxster said and get the appropriate tires with heavy duty tubes and be prepared to repair flats on the trail. You'll generally want to have lower pressure on the trails than on the street, and that makes the tubes susceptible to pinch flats.

Once you get to riding it harder and notice that the suspension is feeling harsh and bottoming out (particularly the forks) and clicker adjustment isn't enough, get heavier fork springs and maybe a heavier shock spring. If you have money spend now, go ahead and spend it on suspension. But for me as a new dirt rider, I think it was beneficial for me to get comfortable and skilled enough to feel and then fight the harsh suspension (I'm 210 lbs), then change springs and appreciate the difference. Then keep riding hard enough to get frustrated with the forks packing up in the whoops so I splurged for gold valves. I took these improvements in steps. At first I didn't have the skills and experience to even know what was lacking.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 11-14-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JPalma
Thank you for your answer, I was already inclined to do this because it's the cheapest option. This bike is more than enough at least for now.
So I think I will keep it for now because I have a lot more things to work on than checking my valves every 10 hour or making big jumps
You work on your riding it might surprise you what you can do with a lowly bike. I have seen an acquaintance run strong on an XR200R back in the 80s, smooth riding, no crashing, placed well in the 250 class. Another time I saw a rider battling for the overall win in a muddy hare scrambles with a friend of mine. My friend was on a Penton 125 the other rider on a Suzuki TS125 - yes a TS125. The guy was a combination of pure banzai and good rider skills. My friend eventually won, not just the 125, but the overall, beating the 250s and open class bikes. Another case of great riding skills, but not so much banzai.

You go learn on the KLX, then when you actually go to a full on off roader you will have some good skills that now can take advantage of the off road racer.

I will say the KTMs and the Honda CRF450L could quite easily be competitive in cross country sort of racing, they both are based on the off road versions.

Have fun either way. And remember what a few good hare scramblers here in Ohio told me - "Don't crash and you will trophy". Figure every time you crash you lose the time picking up the bike and burn up the energy having both crash impact and having to get going again. The one rider looked really slow and casual, but it seemed he was always top three.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Staying with the klx?
Don't mod it for 6 months at least, except
13t front sprocket.
Michelin enduro mediums, heavy duty tubes, 15 psi front and rear.
Decent handguards

Tweak air pressures if needed. I generally run 13.50 in the back

Old 11-15-2019, 11:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by philgoodklx
Staying with the klx?
Don't mod it for 6 months at least, except
13t front sprocket.
Michelin enduro mediums, heavy duty tubes, 15 psi front and rear.
Decent handguards

Tweak air pressures if needed. I generally run 13.50 in the back
The only mods I had already planned to do are the tyres and the 13t sprocket, apart from that it will be stock.
Thank you for your answers!

Old 12-22-2019, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Swm

Originally Posted by JPalma
Thank you for your answer, I was already inclined to do this because it's the cheapest option. This bike is more than enough at least for now.
So I think I will keep it for now because I have a lot more things to work on than checking my valves every 10 hour or making big jumps
Check out swm dual sports if you decide to go that route, they build a slightly older husqvarna platform dual sports and are much cheaper if you can get them in your country as they are still fairly new in the states

Old 12-22-2019, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Also consider AJP.
NB Fantic Casa Enduro is actually a dual sport and much lighter.