I have a dilemma with my KLX250

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I have a dilemma with my KLX250

Hi guys,

Right now I have a dilemma regarding my mount (KLX250 2010 EFI). This KLX is my first motorcycle, I bought it because I wanted a dual sport to do 60% pavement and 40% light off-road. The thing is that I started to do more and more off-road, and right now I only do off-road riding. My objective is to become better at off-road and in the future I want to do some competition (Enduro, off-road etc)

As you all know, KLX250 isn't the best off-road machine, lacks of power, proper suspension etc, but it's not bad, just needs some modifications. And this is where I stand, I'm not sure if I should invest on this bike trying to turn it into something it wasn't meant to be or if I should just sell it and buy a WR250F (the bike I really want).

In my country (Portugal) off-road Kawasakis are extremely hard to sell, and I'm having an hard time to sell mine for a reasonably good price. My question is, should I sell the KLX even if it's for a lower price than I was expecting and buy a bike that I know I can invest without fear to lose all the money on a resell?

Here, for example, WR250 sell like hot cakes, and they don't depreciate as much. The advantage of not selling the KLX is that I already have the bike, and I already know what I can count on.

I need help!

Old 11-12-2019, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

It's your first bike - kind of like a first wife. Not sure what you got into and won't be happy until you figure out if it was the right decision to make. I'm assuming you're looking at a WR250F. Also, not sure if you still want a street legal bike or looking to haul it to where you're going to ride. Not sure about Portugal, but nowadays you can plate just about anything.

Chew on this idea. Since off-road green bikes are hard to sell in Portugal, maybe you could pick up a good KX or KDX for a cheap price. Two-strokes are super light, easy to work on and make great off-road/woods/trail bikes.

As for me, I've always regretted selling any of my bikes, but I never regretted parting ways with my first wife.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Get the right tool for the job. If the WR is the right tool, and if with mods the KLX will be deficient, your choice should be obvious.
Have you rode the WR? Is it what you ultimately want?
The KLX suspension can be made to be pretty good. I'm not sure how far power can be improved on the EFI. It'll still be on the heavy side.
As asked above, is a two-stoke an option. I really enjoy my KDX and it's taken place of the KLX for most of my off-road activities. It's light and fun, but not plated and limited distance capacity.

Like BlkDakDave, I have a difficult time selling bikes. I've let a few go with no regrets, but I wish I had kept my first, the 1975 Suzuki GT380.
My first wife and I parted ways. Life is good.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Ride the KLX on the street if it isn't getting the money you want, race the WRF.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Just to clear some things, I'm not inclined to a 250 two stroke because I think that is too much for me, at leasth for now. I prefer to focus on the basics than be fighting a bike that I can't control.

I also need a plated bike because I need to ride on the road to get to the places where I ride off road.

I've never rides another dirt bike, so I don't have any term of comparison to see how bad (or not) KLX is.

I've read that despite powerful, kx aren't that reliable and that is a thing that concerns me. Reliability and low maintenance costs are king for me

Old 11-12-2019, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

The design of the two stroke can made a big difference in power. Some are high strung and made to race. Some are more mellow and made for trail riding, like my KDX.
My suggestion is to make some friends with other riders and see if one will let you take his bike for a little ride.
You may not like the WRF. I take it the WRF is platable in your country.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't upgrade it. You'll always be wondering.
If you want the WR sell the klx.
Both bikes usually hold their money, but not so much if upgraded.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Lets' recap:
You ride offroad only at this point.
You must have a street legal bike.
You want to increase your offroad skills and enter into organized races.
You are needing to concentrate on the "basics" of offroading - meaning you are a novice at this point.
Reliability and low maintenance costs are "king" for you.
You are not interested in a powerful offroad bike at this point.

Given the above, if I were you, here is what I would do (knowing what I know now):
Install the most aggressive "street approved" offroad knobby tires you can get (and drive carefully on the street with them - as they have far less contact patch with pavement.) This surefootedness while offroad will allow you to increase your skill levels in a way that will apply to any/all offroad bikes (and riding) in your future.
True "competition capable" dual sport bikes (KTM 250 EXC's, etc) have DOUBLE OR MORE power than the KLX. If you have to win (or at least not come in last) you will be forced to learn to ride one in the future.
The WR250R is only an incremental bump over your KLX - it is NOT competition winning in stock form - nothing with buddy pegs will be. Once you achieve competency offroad and can ride fast enough to race, sell the KLX and buy a street legal, competition ready, dual sport bike that you WILL NOT have to replace in the future. KTM, Beta, and perhaps a few others. The cost will be high but cheaper than modding your KLX, buying a WR, modding it, THEN buying a KTM or Beta - which, straight off the showroom floor, runs circles around modded WR's from a HP/TRQ, weight, and suspension standpoint.

Last edited by Klxster; 11-14-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Lets' recap:
You ride offroad only at this point.
You must have a street legal bike.
You want to increase your offroad skills and enter into organized races.
You are needing to concentrate on the "basics" of offroading - meaning you are a novice at this point.
Reliability and low maintenance costs are "king" for you.
You are not interested in a powerful offroad bike at this point.

Given the above, if I were you, here is what I would do (knowing what I know now):
Install the most aggressive "street approved" offroad knobby tires you can get (and drive carefully on the street with them - as they have far less contact patch with pavement.) This surefootedness while offroad will allow you to increase your skill levels in a way that will apply to any/all offroad bikes (and riding) in your future.
True "competition capable" dual sport bikes (KTM 250 EXC's, etc) have DOUBLE OR MORE power than the KLX. If you have to win (or at least not come in last) you will be forced to learn to ride one in the future.
The WR250R is only an incremental bump over your KLX - it is NOT competition winning in stock form - nothing with buddy pegs will be. Once you achieve competency offroad and can ride fast enough to race, sell the KLX and buy a street legal, competition ready, dual sport bike that you WILL NOT have to replace in the future. KTM, Beta, and perhaps a few others. The cost will be high but cheaper than modding your KLX, buying a WR, modding it, THEN buying a KTM or Beta - which, straight off the showroom floor, runs circles around modded WR's from a HP/TRQ, weight, and suspension standpoint.
Thank you for your answer, I was already inclined to do this because it's the cheapest option. This bike is more than enough at least for now.
So I think I will keep it for now because I have a lot more things to work on than checking my valves every 10 hour or making big jumps

Last edited by JPalma; 11-14-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

ITEMS marked 1 are NOT congruent with items marked 2, only you can decide which path to take:::::IMO
The KLX makes a great trail bike if moded, but it will never be a racer! The chance of becoming a 'racer' at a high level are very slim and it is very costly, basically it's like digging a hole and throwing money in it and burning it.
Lets' recap:
2 You ride offroad only at this point.
1 You must have a street legal bike.
2 You want to increase your offroad skills and enter into organized races.
2 You are needing to concentrate on the "basics" of offroading - meaning you are a novice at this point.
1 Reliability and low maintenance costs are "king" for you.
1 You are not interested in a powerful offroad bike at this point.

Last edited by durielk; 11-14-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: I have a dilemma with my KLX250