I hate Boots!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I hate Boots!!!

I tell you guys what... I have ridden trails and putted around MX tracks since I was a kid in shoes.

I want to get more into competative MX and Enduro racing but I cant seem to get use to these boots. I try to eat sleep and bathe in them but i HATE them when riding the damn bike! I cant feel the shifter and when i do shift, its an akward movement with my entire leg rather then just a flick of the ankle like in my shoes. Any tips?

I'm seriously contiplating racing in shoes if its not against the rules. Screw a broken ankle every once in a while, I have free medical :P

Old 06-22-2009, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

adjust your shifter

Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a friend that has the same problem. He uses trials boots.
I'm sure work boots would be better than shoes, thats what I wear on the KLX.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I feel your pain. I wore a pair of mx boots for about 3 years, just when they started getting comfortable, they started falling apart. I bought a new pair, and I can't even walk in 'em. So I got a pair of steel-toe tall lace up work boots. Easy to shift, easy to walk, and a lot more comfortable. If I was going to race competitively though, I wouldn't wear anything less than a full mx boot.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Try Thor's 50/50 boot. I've had them for almost a year and they are more comfortable then most of my shoes. I could walk in em all day long and not be in pain. Good protection from the ankle down but doesn't limit movement like a full MX boot does.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Put them in a bucket of hot water. Put them on then go mow the lawn. Then dry them out. The best way to loosen up new leather is to get it wet.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I hated mine too.. i adjusted the shifter and wore them while walking around... now it feels weird when i wear shoes on the bike haha.

Besides - about 3 weeks ago, my riding buddy fell and his leg broke in 3 places... doc said it would have been a compound fracture (bone through the skin) if the boots weren't as supportive...

my $.02

Old 06-23-2009, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

plus one on the thor 50 50 boots, very comfortable and easy to shift. I also have a pair of sidi crossfire motocross boots, they have hinges at the pivot point and make it easier to shift. The sidi's are very expensive but worth it. They sidi's are also waterproof, the thors are not water proof.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

haha i know how you feel. i just recently got rid of some forma boots for the reason they were too stiff after a few rides and a little on the big side in favour of some fox comp5's.
I've heard of a few guys using a product called dubbin to soften there leather up and they swear by it. i will be picking some up soon to see how it goes.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I can't imagine riding without boots.
I also can't imagine you will be able to enter a sanctioned event without them.
You certainly can't here.
IMO you just have to stick with em until you get used to it.
And you will get used to it.
Most decent modern boots are reasonably comfortable right away.
My Sidi Crossfires are awesome.

You can't really feel the shifter but I don't really need to.
Just lift the shifter so the boot can get under it to upshift.
After a while it will feel weird not wearing boots.

Quick Reply: I hate Boots!!!