I got Suspended.....!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Okay its been a while (several months) since I upgraded my suspension. Several outings later with every outing being 120-195 miles in distance. All I can say is that the suspension upgrade was the best modification I have made to my KLX. The stock suspension got me hurt really bad once when the rear end compressed and then donkey kicked me so hard that it compressed my spine.

The new suspension never bottoms out, although I know I could make it happen. I ride out in the desert along two track and some single track in the trees at higher elevations here in Idaho. I like to go as fast as I dare, which is slower than most experienced riders.
Whenever I get into a situation such as a deep rut that I am not expecting, I just grip the tank tightly with my legs and hold the bars a bit firmer and let the suspension do the rest, Before with the stock pogo sticking I would bottom out and just let my bike take a nap right there in the trail. I havent wrecked since the new suspension installation (knock on wood). After assembling the front fork tubes, I aligned the front end with two lengths of straight rod about 36" long. One length through the front axle, and one laid across the fork tubes up high at the upper triple clamp. Then it is easy to see/sight the rods to insure they are parallel to each other. Also, it is important to leave the lower right axle clamp loose and pump the forks several times to insure both fork legs are parallel to each other.

On the rear end alignment, I measured from the swing arm pivot to axle center on each side and adjusted the chain adjusters as equal as possible. The final alignment was made after a friend followed me to check the tracking by eye while traveling at speed on a long straight section of pavement.

So, after the suspension upgrade and precision alignment ( I notice a lot of bikes going down the road crooked) I am in love with my KLX. I have never upgraded the suspension on any of the dirtbikes I have owned in my life. Now I know it is the most bang for your buck.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:16 PM
1st Gear Member

You got it. For offroading a nice suspension trumps power mods in almost all cases. I still have a set of goldvalves for the forks. Each weekend I find a new project that keeps me away from the stockers. Gotta happen soon though - those forks are killing me.