I got a hare scramble trophy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats Brian, trophys all the way to 10th that awesome.

My riding buds have been pestering me about entering the local scrables with them...but the klx is such a pig. I need to buy a beater smoker.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

That is cool NB, I won the movie trivia question the other morning on the radio. But who didn't know the name of the car used as a time machine in the movie Back to The Future right? That's the only thing I ever won....oh wait, I won a door prize on my first poker run, it was the Fastest Indian with Anthony Hopkins...good movie. Anyway again, congratulations man!!!

Old 08-16-2009, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet

My riding buds have been pestering me about entering the local scrables with them...but the klx is such a pig. I need to buy a beater smoker.
I rode mine anyway and had a great time not to mention the only guy to finish with blinkers

its always fun when you have the smallest bike but still beat people!

Old 08-16-2009, 02:55 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet

Thanks, I think?

They way they do it in the NCHSA is 1 trophy for every 2 riders, with a max of 10 trophies. I just made the cut-off. So if it was 20 riders or 50 riders, they'd still give out 10 trophies. If only 10 riders, though, they'd give trophies for 1-5. 20 riders actually finished that race in my class, a lot of people pulled out though, so I don't know how many were actually on the line at the start. You have to finish at least one lap to be counted. I can't remember exactly how many I counted on the line, but it was definitely more than 20, some didn't make it one lap. It was a tough race.

I recommend trying it sometime. It's a real hoot. From a people perspective, it's kind of like an organized trail ride except there are no nanny's telling you to slow down, instead you are encouraged to go as fast as you dare. You are sure to meet a lot of interesting folks and are guaranteed to have a good time.

I mainly just try to go my pace, maybe 80% actually. The race is long, and I'm not in good enough shape to go 100% for that long, so I pace myself. The first race I did I tried too hard early and burned myself out for later laps.

I wanted to do one since I heard about these races, but didn't really know anything about it. Then a couple of buddy's I'd been riding with decided to do it, so we all went together and that was my first race last year. It was a lot of fun and I wanted to do more, but it never worked out before the season ended. I've done two this year - it's even more fun this year because I know better what to expect and I'm not so nervous leading up to the race. Still though, the butterflies are alive and well come race day, and that may be part of the draw. You definitely feel alive. Hopefully I'll get another one or two in before the season is over.

Not only is it fun, but it will make you a better rider, too. You'll need to think fast, pick a line, and go in many situations when you would rather maybe sit back and think things over if just trail riding. Also, 1.5 hours of no breaks, no rest stops, no smoke breaks with your buds, just giving it all you have for the duration. It's hard. You feel like you accomplished something just finishing, let alone where you placed. The difficulty of it builds character. And seeing how you stack up against all the other guys out there sure builds humility.