I Was Excited . . . . . . But Now . . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Default RE: I Was Excited . . . . . . But Now . . . . .

With my discounts - right around $320, ready to install. And I do mean ready to install. The work Bill Blue did made it virtually slip into place. He modifies the carb and the linkage so you have no additional work to do.

I had dropped Bill a note on the jetting and he is sending me some additional jets so I can make the necessary adjustments. Once we find the sweetness, he can install that jetting in your carb. His wife's KLX250S has the stock airbox. Once I went with that configuration, the carb worked just fine.

I'm really looking forward to getting the bigger jets in and seeing just what this combo will do.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

If you wanted to play even further, I thnk Sudco has jet kits for Mikuni carbs. The language is a bit greek to me at this point with different jet descriptions like "small round" and the like, but I'd better bone-up on it, because I should be receiving my Mikuni sometime early next month, if all goes well.

ORIGINAL: Marty

With my discounts - right around $320, ready to install. And I do mean ready to install. The work Bill Blue did made it virtually slip into place. He modifies the carb and the linkage so you have no additional work to do.

I had dropped Bill a note on the jetting and he is sending me some additional jets so I can make the necessary adjustments. Once we find the sweetness, he can install that jetting in your carb. His wife's KLX250S has the stock airbox. Once I went with that configuration, the carb worked just fine.

I'm really looking forward to getting the bigger jets in and seeing just what this combo will do.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Good work, Marty. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

I have the Planet KLX version of the TM 33 swap. I might mention that we are not able to use the return cable when using this configuration either. The front half of the Bell-crank must be ground off or it will hit the head. The cable bracket also interfears with the head, consequently it must be removed as well. The good news here is that the throttle works really well. Smooth action and reasonable pull effort.

I ran into the same issues you did with the bog under mid to full throttle. The spark plug electrode was white to slightly brown, but black and sooty on the edges. I was a little unsure if it was lean or rich, except that it sure felt lean. I kept going up on jets. Finally I just jumped to a 150 main. My needle is on the second slot from the top and I have a 37.5 pilot jet. I'm at 1200 feet MSL. Jetting size will be smaller for those at higher altitudes, of course.

The lean bog is almost undetectable now and the bike rips. I'm still running the stock exhaust, so I know there's more to be had once it can exhale too.

Is your exhaust still stock?

I'm curious about how your spark plug is looking.

Keep putzing with it and you'll be very happy for the course you've chosen. The immediate hit on wicking it is well worth the fuss.

Shadetree
Norman, Oklahoma
06 KlX 250

Old 12-04-2006, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

hmmm i think i see a pumper carb in the future[sm=alcoholic.gif][sm=drooldude.gif]

Old 12-04-2006, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Marty, could you post the specifics about what the carb is and who set it up for you and where you got it from. I'm sure that you have already done this but it has sliped through my monitor some how.
Thanks

Old 12-05-2006, 10:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh, I guess I was under the wrong impression. Marty's carb was fitted to the bike using adapter rings that were machined by a guy named Bill..forget his last name, over at Advrider forum. Sounds like he spaces things in a way that eliminates having to remove material from the frame.

I believe Marty is running the HMF slip-on.

ORIGINAL: Shadetree

Good work, Marty. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

I have the Planet KLX version of the TM 33 swap. I might mention that we are not able to use the return cable when using this configuration either. The front half of the Bell-crank must be ground off or it will hit the head. The cable bracket also interfears with the head, consequently it must be removed as well. The good news here is that the throttle works really well. Smooth action and reasonable pull effort.

Shadetree
Norman, Oklahoma
06 KlX 250

Old 12-05-2006, 11:45 AM

Well, here's how the project came to be. I contacted a fine gentleman by the name of William (Bill) Blue over at advrider and asked him what the mod entailed. His response was:

The offset I mentioned was so I could bore it out to the 34 mm this lets me enlarge the bore without touching the bottom of the carb bore. You are correct about the adaptors. I used a file & micrometers to make the flanged round then made the adaptors I made them .002 smaller than the carb flanges, heated the adaptors up to 200 Deg. froze the carb so they would slip together also used high temp lock tight to make a air tight seal after it cooled & set up I finished turning them to size put the same groove as the stock CV carb so it would fit tight. Could use only one cable I used two tight fit.

So, I ordered the carb - part number 13200-14D03 at Ron Ayers and shipped it to Bill Blue. He then made the mods we talked about and shipped it back to me. As I said earlier, there is basically no modifications needed to install the Mikuni once Bill sets it up.

If you would like to talk with him, his e-mail is b_jblue@sbcglobal.net

Bill is sending me some jets to make the carb a bit fatter so I can put the big snorkle in or remove the airbox likd.

If we come up with the fact that the Twin-Air YZ450F Fire-resistant air cleaner will indeed fit the KLX250S, then the backfire screen will get lost on my bike also. More air in, more air out = horsepower!

This is an ongoing project.

The good news is that once I do some testing with the jets, you'll be able to tell Bill what the setup on your bike is and when you get your carb, it will be jetted just fine!

Old 12-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

marty how far are you from greensboro nc?

Old 12-05-2006, 03:50 PM

About 600 miles further south.