I actually have a question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah but you see thats not the point. The screw assists the pilot jet which is bottom end only. There are many jets in a carb, but the three most popular are the Main, needle, and pilot.

If your having idling problems, or its cutting out when you pull out...yeah the screw will make a difference but its not gonna do jack when your bike cuts out when you goose it, or when your cruising down the road at WOT or 3/4 throttle

Old 06-23-2009, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't you want to be making a richer mixture in a leaner air environment? Or am I totally wrong on this?

Old 06-23-2009, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej,

Just leave it alone. It will run a little richer but will not hurt anything. You may not even notice much diff. If you were talking about 7000 ft than you had better rejet. If you were moving permanantly than you should rejet to make it run perfect. You are going for a week! Just ride and have fun.

KLXelent

Old 06-23-2009, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

A a rough rule of thumb, for each 3000 feet of elevation increase, there is a 10% decrease in oxygen content in the air. Therefor, even with the jetting right on, you will loose 10% of the possible power.

At the elevation range you're going to, don't worry about the mixture. When cars still had carbs, folks wouldn't stop going up a mountain road and adjust the mixture.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 06-23-2009, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
Yeah but you see thats not the point. The screw assists the pilot jet which is bottom end only. There are many jets in a carb, but the three most popular are the Main, needle, and pilot.

If your having idling problems, or its cutting out when you pull out...yeah the screw will make a difference but its not gonna do jack when your bike cuts out when you goose it, or when your cruising down the road at WOT or 3/4 throttle
Deej, Deej, Deej, Jason is exactly correct, that little screw isn't going to affect anything except your mixture at idle/just off idle.

Between this, the post about your brake fluid being 'fine,' and your attempt to resurface your rotor with a hand sander, I'm starting to worry about you!

Old 06-23-2009, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej,

When I moved to Oregon the winter of 07-08 for a seven month temporary assignment, I re-jetted to your bike's specifications. Copying your settings worked great for me while I was there. Upon returning to New Mexico, I did not immediately re-jet (tired from the trip home). I rode the bike with the larger jets for a couple of months. I did notice increased "soot" at the tailpipe from running rich.

I live at 5300 feet. You will be fine for a week at 4000.

Have fun and stay safe!

Old 06-24-2009, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I just did the high desert ride last month. We have similar setups on our bikes. The only thing I noticed was that the bike did not want to idle and it died alot. You should be fine as long as your thumb is in good shape. I just turned my idle up a bit until I came back home.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Deej, running it a bit rich for a short while is no big deal.
I would do nothing.
Always better to be rich than poor, I mean lean.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Ok the shop told me..(they remembered my bike, and in fact they talked to the guy that did my jetting) This is what they said. I can adjust that screw to make it leaner for higher altitudes. Just to remember the turns. I might look for one of those right angle screwdrivers, they don't sell them at the shop. I saw them on-line somewhere. but I'm really short on time now...
Make one. Vice, hammer cheap screwdriver.

keep it as it is. For a week it's not worth the trouble and thee bike will be fine. As previously mentioned, turn up the idle if you have problems off idle.

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 06-24-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

deej, you are a hell of a bunch of guys!!!

Quick Reply: I actually have a question!!!