HWY riding Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

dam right. Just did a lap of New Zealand, 6000kms all up, doing motorways speeds nearly all day everyday. no problem with the bike except a leaking rocker cover, and I'm not sure if that's speed induced...

Old 02-27-2009, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

wow GREAT input! ... there are some sweet back roads from Toronto to MI with speeds around 80-90kms. It'll make the ride even longer but perhaps more comfortable. Taking the HWY there are rest stops every 40 minutes to 1hr.

Anyway, thanks everyone...

The reason i asked is because i have some feelings that this is a delicate machine... long story short, when i first purchased the bike... i went through 2 in 2 weeks before the current one i have.. due to mechanical issues. There's a post about it on here somewhere.

cheers

Old 02-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I'm running the 13-45 setup and I'm right at 7000 doing 60ish. Read my Canada trip and 700 miles. Its certainly not the longest trip on a KLX by any means but I just thought I would give the report a shameless plug here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378743

This and others can also be found on my website in the link below. Sheesh I am shameless.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

from expericance, the klx can definally take the freeway, but there are a few things i like to keep in mind when i do it for LONG times (like 300 miles, one way). first, before you leave, change the oil AND filter. fresh oil will keep you engine running clean and cool, and its keep insurance. also, keep rpms below 7000, once you pass 6800 or so, the motors really starting to work hard. also, YOU need to be prepaired. it doesnt look like your going that far (you said something like 2 hours), so just keep the food/drink count down before you start, so you dont have to go on the road. and if you think you need gas, get it, your probally stock with the pos 2 gal tank, i still keep this in mind and i have 3 gals to reserve.'

long rides out
noob valley ralley 300, one way out
bomb run, 180ish one way (in the rain and cold)

Last edited by punkenduro09; 02-27-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=higgs;358043
The reason i asked is because i have some feelings that this is a delicate machine... QUOTE]

On the contrary. Probably the most delicate thing on my bike is my middle-aged carcass. Back in November I let a buddy of mine take mine for a spin, and he promptly dumped it in a ditch by a poor choice of line and throttle setting. Mucked him up pretty good but fortunately nothing serious.

The bike was laying on its right side in that ditch (at about a 45 degree angle) for over an hour while I took him home. When I came back for the bike and finally pulled it out of the #$%*#&% ditch I discovered that the damage was superficial and cosmetic. Quarter sized hole in the seat cover where it had been pierced by a branch (good thing it missed his thigh), white line halfway up in the front fender where it had bent - but didn't break, and a throttle side handguard that had been jarred upward an inch or so by the impact. That's it.

Sucker fired right up and I rode it home, paying special attention for any indications that there was suspension damage I didn't notice. Bike was/is fine

If anything the motor is one of it's toughest components. That's one of the benefits of using old - excuse me - tried and true technology. There's something to be said for decades of incremental improvements. Anyone who remembers the Chrysler Slant-Six or the Ford 300 Straight-Six if they know what I'm talking about. Shoot, look around on the roads. Some of those engines are still plugging along.

Last edited by Xerxes; 02-28-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by higgs
The reason i asked is because i have some feelings that this is a delicate machine...
The klx is and is not a lot of things ..... but delicate is not one of them.

I commuted with the klx for a couple months at 80 mph for 45 minutes each way using 14:49 gearing ..... and no I would not recommend doing this.....but she hummed along....with a glowing red muzzy header.....never an issue and that was over 4K miles ago......rpms were 8k+ perhaps 9k .. for a solid 45 minutes..each way every day for 2 months....lol

I don't think you could purposely blow up the motor...just sayin.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Im more worried about having perfect fuel/air mixture....

My bike seems to be sensitive to temp differences...Id hate to be running wot for an hour with my bike way too lean.....

Rocco

Old 02-28-2009, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Something to be said for water-cooling. Keeps engine (cyl head) temps more constant and contributes to longer life, or so the engineers tell us.

On the flip side, you never have to worry about radiator, coolant, thermostat, or fan on an air-cooled engine. But they don't seem to be a problem on the KLX either, so there ya go.