Hwy Dirtbike Handguards and New Cables

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Hwy Dirtbike Handguards and New Cables

I’m going to be ordering some new parts for my bike (2009 KLX-SF), but I have a couple of questions regarding my purchases. I am going to get the following items.

1. Highway Dirtbike Bar, Clamps, Handguards and a Protaper Contour Handlebar.
2. Zeta Pivot Lever (Clutch/Brake) 3-Finger
3. Maybe Motion Pro Throttle Cable/Clutch Cable
4. Maybe a Scott’s Steering Stabilizer (damned expensive)

My main questions regard the cables. Do you think I will need longer cables? If so how much longer, and which ones? Will I need both the push and pull throttle cables and the clutch cable?

Also the Highway Dirtbikes Handguard comes with both an upper and a lower handlebar clamps. On the web page it allows you to select either the 10mm Bolt Lower Clamp Medium or a 12mm Bolt. Aren’t the clamp bolts for the KLX 8-mm?

Dan

Old 03-24-2012, 04:50 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

I have a 2007 with stock bars. I purchased the sx top clamp 90x33/35mm Bolt Pattern. The first clamp did not clear the key assy but I sent it back and Paul milled a cut-away for it. I also purchased the optional mirrors.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:56 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm
I have a 2007 with stock bars. I purchased the sx top clamp 90x33/35mm Bolt Pattern. The first clamp did not clear the key assy but I sent it back and Paul milled a cut-away for it. I also purchased the optional mirrors.
Just realized I didn't answer your question. I didn't have the option of selecting bolt sizes when ordering for 7/8 bars.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought larger bars that were pre threaded.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member

scotts stabilizer uses a scotts top clamp for it to mount...with my current protaper se carmichel and scotts stabilizer, did not find a handguard that works

Old 03-24-2012, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member

sx top clamp 90x33/35mm Bolt Pattern
Really I was quite sure that I needed the 100x38/40 mm Bolt pattern. I am gonig to get the ADVdx Top Clamp, Ultimate Hanguards, and both mirrors. Did you have to get new cables? If I get the Scotts dampener I may need to raise the bars more?

Old 03-24-2012, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

You will definitely need longer cables. I have them on my bike. I have the protaper woods bend on mine, which are fat bars, if you are putting the HDB guards on you have no need for the pivot levers, as the bars will protect the levers against anything that you can live through, save your money for a vapor speedo or the led turn signals that go with the hdb's. Definitely buy the mirrors as they work way better than the stockers. I had a two inch longer clutch cable and it was not long enough. It worked but was tight and only lasted one season. I ordered a three inch longer cable and it is perfect. I also ordered 2 inch longer throttle cables but the stock ones were just long enough so I saved the longer ones for later. The triple clamp size is 90 by 38/40 mm I think because of the fat bar adapter. I don't know why you would want a steering stablizer for this bike but to each his own.
Hope this helps

Last edited by redpillar; 03-24-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Name:  P1080165.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  32.1 KB

Old 03-24-2012, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Ahnh666
scotts stabilizer uses a scotts top clamp for it to mount...with my current protaper se carmichel and scotts stabilizer, did not find a handguard that work
That sucks. Maybe I will send an email off to Paul at HDB and see what his thoughts are regarding this problem.

You guys are correct about the bolt pattern, I just re-measured mine. So redpillar you think I will need cables that are 3" longer (clutch and both throttle cables). When contacting motionpro do you just tell them it is for a KLX and the increase in length. Or do you have to provide a drawing with OEM and MODIFIED lengths for the cables. And yes this does help. If I hadn't asked you guys these questions I may have ended up with a top clamp that would bolt to my bike and a stabilzer I could only use as an anchor.

The reason I want the stabilizer is last year the front tire washed out on me causing an instantaneous tank slapper on Cinnamon Pass going about 25 mph - on an easy part no less. That will happen though when you use the front brake on a dust covered boulder.

Last edited by fooswolf; 03-24-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:21 AM
1st Gear Member

I really don't need the levers, except I bent the crap out of mine last year and the new ones would be kind of cool.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member

The reason I thought it might work with the stabilizer is shown in this photo from HDB. If the stabilzer is installed under the bar as shown. However I also understand that the stabilzer has to be installed backwards in order to clear the key switch.

Quick Reply: Hwy Dirtbike Handguards and New Cables