Hunting Season?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Hunting Season?

a few weeks back i was out just tooling around with a friends nephew and we had a deer go across the trail 20 feet in front of usat about mach 1. i don't think it's feet even touched the trail. it was airborne the entire milisecond that i saw it.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

One of those Crouching Tiger, Hidden Deer moves huh? The one that race me today did some funky Jujitsu flying kick or something and then took off, crazy critters.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

ya they're funny that way. it's not the one you see that gets you it's the second one. as your looking left saying "what the %$@@$%^ was that" the second one comes from the right to steamroll you.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

As a former BLM and FWS and current land management agency employee, hunter, and rider I’ll give out my usual advise when the public comes in the office and asks this question (and what I wish I could say to John Q Public in parentheses). This may not apply to were you live, but it seems like the norm everywhere I’ve worked….

Public lands are designated multi-use year round and there are no additional restrictions on OHV use during the hunting season (but rifle season is one, maybe two weeks a year. Be aware that many hunter’s see this as “their” time of year, especially since you can ride all year round, and don’t what to hear yer loud **** bike rippin’ through the woods while they are trying to stalk a deer. Take that weekend or two off and catch’up on your pre-winter maintenance.)[/ol]

If you choose to go riding this time of year, be cognizant of the additional vehicular/OHV/foot traffic on the roads ( if you still insist on riding the busiest damn week off the year, don’t get pissed off when half the Forest/BLM turns into a parking lot of trucks, trailers, and atvs. And it doesn’t slow down all week because nobody hunts on foot anymore, they just drive their trucks and atvs up and down the flippin’ road all day expecting to blast the first thing that jumps in front of them)[/ol]

Please report any incidents (threats, garbage, and illegal activity) to BLM/FS law enforcement officials. If you are threatened, walk away from the situation (don’t be shocked when your normally quite ride is interrupted by a disgruntled hunter. Being in the woods for a week can do weird things to people. Add to that alcohol and being pissed cuz ya ain’t shot nuttin’ leads to some disgruntled hunters looking for someone to blame. Those of us that work in the woods for a living stay out of it that week, unless we are helping law enforcement…cause it’s their busiest time of the year![/b])[/ol]
Enjoy your ride

Old 09-30-2007, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the inside look. Around here there is no real busy week, on my ride last night there were trucks lining the roads wherever there was a nice field, and it will continue to be that way until December or whenever the season is finally over. Occasionally there some hunters that welcome the site of an ATV, I was a couple miles back and gave a guy a lift to his partner waiting by the road, mind you this was on a Warrior 350 with a DG open pipe, I just idled it through the gears and it was still loud. I'm thinking I'll probably stick to the main dirt roads and take it relatively easy, the orange vest isn't a bad idea either considering my gear has reflective white striping on it.

Thats one nice thing about my KLX300 exhaust, even with no rear restrictor plate, under 5000 rpm its very very quiet.