How's the KLX250 in the sand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default How's the KLX250 in the sand?

I live about an hour away from the Oregon dunes. Miles of dunes and beach are open to OHV's, meanwhile the local trails are either snowed in or swamped with mud. I've never ridden out there, but I'm really tempted to put a flag on the KLX and try it out on the sand (WET sand this time of year).

I know some of you have ridden your KLX's in the sand, so what's your opinion on sand riding? My bike is stock (including tires), would it be fun, or would I just be struggling to get around while I pollute my bike with millions of grains of gritty sand?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw/recr...ra/index.shtml

Old 12-24-2007, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: How's the KLX250 in the sand?

This is all I ride in pretty much, tires need to be change asap! I also did some hp upgrades to stay up on top of the sand. I think it's now pretty good in the sand, stock not so good. Good luck have fun.

Kevin

Old 12-24-2007, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member

All stock it scared the hell outta me in the New Jersey sand. With more appropriate gearing and good aggressive ***** its much more fun. Especially wet sand, great traction and smooth riding.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I find that even with better tires, this bike feels a little "loose" in the sand (mostly in the front end).
Maybe it's the rake or the overall geometry - I dunno - but I gotta lean way back and gun the throttle to keep it steady.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HeavyFuel

I live about an hour away from the Oregon dunes. Miles of dunes and beach are open to OHV's,
WTF are you doing posting on the forum if ya got a place like that to ride!!! No,your lil klx will not handle like a KX BUT it's still WAY FUN ..... everybody gets off on this performance crap..... shoot I'm not good enough to take advantage of mostof the benefits between the two. My lil klx does just fine in the sand.

Name:  2-8-07008.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  85.8 KB

Old 12-24-2007, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Have you ever thought of pinning it? All I know is that you need to keep the front end light in sand. Don't drop it or it will knife and or tuck. Stay loose in sand and try not to fight the bike. Just flow bro. Thats all I know and that Jason (KawiWawi) is right, the KLX is down right squirrelly in the sand despite the tires.

Below - This is the only "white" stuff I ride in!!

Name:  A_SAND.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  37.3 KB

Old 12-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I was not on the klx, but keep the throttle pinned like mentioned. I hit up Florence almost every weekend on my big bore rides in the past. Takes some effort for sure. Quit Florence after a few yrs when housing started up and the perimeter started to shrink and the db patrol guys were out there in full dress.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Sweet! Thanks for the input guys! Okay...here's my checklist:

1. Flag
2. Soft terrain tires (DOT)
3. 13 tooth sprocket
4. PIN IT!!!

Old 12-25-2007, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member

And don't forget to do some weight lifting and strength building exercises - you'll be glad you did.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I learned a lot about riding in sand the weekend we were at the NJ Pine Barrens. Took me about a day to get the hang of it and start feeling comfortable. Basically what Mark says - hang loose and let the bike float underneath you. Don't put ANY weight on the bars, ride in a neutral position and keep on the throttle. If the front starts to dig or go squirrelly, grab a handful of throttle and that will get you back on track. There were lots of KLX's there that weekend and everyone seemed to be having a good time so I'd say yes, the KLX is sand-worthy and fun. Granted, the sand there wasn't dunes, mostly sandy trails, but there were some pretty deep places. That place was a blast, I want to go back.

Quick Reply: How's the KLX250 in the sand?