How She Schooons!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3L4NS1R

Btw, if your wanting an express tour of NZ, theres an 8 day sprint happening next year January. Surely life can be put on hold for 8 days?
Indeed it can.
Perfect time of year for me too.
Have you any more details?
I know there are some good dirt bike tours in NZ as well.
mmm Now you have me thinking.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
I tested my speedo with my NUVI gps and it was off a consistant 2 kph through out the range of 30 to 80 kph. The nuvi is dead on with my xterra
The 09 seedo is much more accurate that the 06/07.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:14 AM
1st Gear Member

basically me and a few others doing the "3800kms of 250cc greatness" tour. most likely leaving about the 8th, coming back about a week later. mainly concentrating on the south island, but because we're starting at auckland, we'll be covering most of the north island too. looking at about 500-600kms per day, so padded trousers recommended :P

so far im the only dirt bike, so I've got a few side trips lined up to give me a break from the tarmac.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
hmm, I've been beside my wife in our van doing 65mph on my '09 and according to her, she was doing the same and we weren't backing up traffic the three miles or so we did that. bike speedos, according to my experience seems to be around 10% off or so. the '09 KLX speedo is magnetic so it should be more accurate than most bikes. I'm not buying the nearly 10mph difference claimed unless that was on a pre '09 KLX.

Yes, the split is on the 06/07. I haven't seen any of the KLX/ D-trackers with mag pick-up and digi speedo off by much at all.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
Yes, the split is on the 06/07. I haven't seen any of the KLX/ D-trackers with mag pick-up and digi speedo off by much at all.
I'd sooner trust 3 different matching sources over 1 little bike speedometer.

The roadside radar clocks the same as the GPS. The Mazda 6 clocks the same as the roadside radar and the GPS. The bike clocks consistently 5mph over what it is at speeds greated than about 35mph.

Maybe it is a case of US GPS vs. Europe and Asia GPS.

Our consumer GPS is very accurate, way more than 20 meters. I don't know if ya'll are using WAAS or not. Besides that shouldn't even matter you could theoretically get accurate readings from 1 mile increments as long as your speed was constant.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Just close to where I live theres a 1/4 Mile stretch of road where street racers do drags.. So the days that I got the bike I really wanted to see what the little KLX can do.. So I tried.. And I really did the best.. I went WOT until the very last moment and the fastest I hit was 126kmph which is about 78.9mph.. And at that time the counter sprocket was the stock 14t..

Then after all the mods in my Signature I tried that stretch again, this time with the 13t counter sprocket..
It hit exactly 125kmph which is about 77.6mph.. I'm pretty happy hehe..

I really like to try it again with the 14t Sprocket hehehe..

And the speedo I have is the Electronic one, which the Japanese get..

Old 10-14-2008, 07:08 AM
1st Gear Member

ok, so compared the bike with the car this evening, mate driving the car at 100kph. I'm pretty sure my car is close to smack on, as it keeps up with everyone else while saying 100...

Turns out my bike is 10kph out at 100kms... making my new top speed of 135 less of a thrill...

Old 12-10-2008, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Update on this one:

I've put the 14tooth back on. Got fed up with having slightly too little power in all of the gears.

Also it's moving into summer here, so Im getting onto the rougher stuff more often, so I'm missing the power. Might put the 15t back on for winter next year though, gets me good mileage.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the thread update. A 15 tooth is a bad option for off road use. A 13 tooth sprocket is an equally bad choice for on road use if higher speeds are needed for the highway at times. If KLX owners are just riding 10 miles down the road to the trails then a 13 tooth makes sense. But if a KLX owner is using the bike as I use it (for commuting and trails) then a 13 tooth choice makes no sense either. That's why I prefer if folks recommending a 13 toother would qualify their sprocket recommendations based upon KLX usage rather than just telling new owner that a 13 tooth will help 'wake the bike up'. Helping KLX owners make the correct choice for the bikes usage is what sites like this are all about. Not preachin', just sayin'... Based upon some threads I've read.

Mike

Old 12-10-2008, 07:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3L4NS1R
ok, so compared the bike with the car this evening, mate driving the car at 100kph. I'm pretty sure my car is close to smack on, as it keeps up with everyone else while saying 100...

Turns out my bike is 10kph out at 100kms... making my new top speed of 135 less of a thrill...
I'm with Sam on this one. My '09 speedo is out 10% no matter what speed I go past one of those kerbside speed check units!

Quick Reply: How She Schooons!