How to remove the pixie stick out of stock can ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default How to remove the pixie stick out of stock can ?

I'm wanting to mod my stock muffler in the same fashion as some other members here did, but i don't really know how to go about cutting out the tiny metal straw posing as an exhaust outlet.

Thought about taking the blow torch to it but would like something a little more precise than that.

Anyone got a suggestion or can tell me what tools they used ?

Old 02-24-2011, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I think David R would be your best bet on that question. I think he has done the most modding to a stock can.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

How about an air powered cut off tool, I don't know what you'd get into inside of it but David R. and at least 1 other guy here have been there reciently.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Blow torch and alot of wiggling and twisting and the little piece of crap popped out.

Now to figure out how to attach the exhaust tip. Metal looks too thin to tap.

hmmm ...

Old 02-24-2011, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

check my posts.
did mine a few years back. Used a deep hole saw to get a clean hole.
Works VERY well.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I used a hole saw to remove that piece of the muffler on my KLR650. It was tweeting, runs alot better too. Sounds better too. holesaw, oil, and patience

Old 02-24-2011, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I used a hole saw. There are 2 walls its welded to, so once its cut out of the rear, you have to go deeper and cut around it again. You could drill it out with maybe a 5/8 metal bit.

ID of the "straw" Is 15mm.

David

Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 PM
jxg
1st Gear Member

actually, when you cut that baby open there are 3 walls (i wish i had taken pictures of the 09 end pipe i bastardized.

that small tube in that David says is 15 MM goes all the way down. there are 3 different disks along that chamber. a few inches in, there is a plate that blocks that channel (this is what you are drilling out if you read somewhere on this site to stick a 1/2" drill bit down the hole). All along that pipe are small holes that circulates the exhaust. hard to explain, wish i took pictures. i chopped mine up, and used the innards to fabricate 3 different exhaust tips for my 300 exhaust, depending on whether i want to be mild or wild or in between.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Well i got the "straw" out and got the exhaust tip somewhat fitted, but i'm still unsure of how to go about attaching the tip to the can now.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member

This is mine after removing the pipe that went through 2 layers. The next one is the spark arrester. Its the first plate you would drill through if you did nothing else. You can see it does no good. The fins spin the exhaust so any solids or sparks go to the outside instead of out the little pipe.

With the "straw" out, its loud! I welded in a 3/4" pipe coupling. Then I screwed different lengths pipe into it. I settled on about 3 or 4" of copper 3/4" pipe as what I wanted.

This one was too loud

David

Quick Reply: How to remove the pixie stick out of stock can ?