How to properly corner on the road

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: How to properly corner on the road

Yea I knew that........but its still concrete and corners, I just thought the principle was the same.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

flat track on concrete? any flat track i have seen was dirt.....

Old 08-24-2007, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Eric,
I'm with you on that.
When riding the KLX on the road and cornering I sit near the tank leaning in and generally keeping my butt centered on the seat (with both feet on pegs and left foot above shift lever) using the rear brake to set up the proper entry speed and then accelerate smoothly as I progress through the corner the whole time keeping my eyes and head turned towards the exit.
I have felt the back tire start to get a little loose many times but have never had a problem with it coming undone, most of the decent dual sport tires will give you plenty of warning on the street provided there is no contamination (water, sand, gravel etc).

Old 08-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

DOH!! My bad, you're right, the one in Castle Rock was a clay track, and in fact I think they all are. It is amazing that on a hard packed clay track the bikes will leave black marks. Lots of fun to watch.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Ok, no offense to anyone..... Is leaning in a turn this unnatural to you? Is it just me or is this being made out to be bigger than it is... This bike was the first one i drove off the dealers lot right on to the road and felt fine and i hadnt ridden a bike in years.... Then again maybe i have acceptional balance and stuff from mountain biking.... I can lean way over in turns but am scared of the knobbies and gravel on the road so i leave that stuff for the dirt.... and on your comments deej, to keep your tire round "wearing evenly" you must turn alot...... i find that next to impossible, and i lean in every,turn the only part of the 606's tread i dont use is the last 1/4" on the ends of the knobbies....
It is second nature to me, but the other day I thought to myself "maybe i'll try this different technique", and now i've just been way to concious of it.

Which is why I came to you guys!

Old 08-25-2007, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I rode the KLX on some of the same twisties as the ZX10 this summer. At first I wastwitchy and oversteering on the KLX while feeling kind of uncomfortable. I think not trusting the tires kept me from leaning into the turns. After I started getting a little more comfortable and getting a feel for the knobbies I started leaning in until I felt the back tire kicking out a little bit. By the end of the trip was able to rip through some fairly tight turns and never felt like the tires were giving up. The bad thing is now I'm itching to get a big bore kit and some supermoto rims and tires.