How often you change your fuel line n filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default How often you change your fuel line n filter

So weather getting nice and wanted to ride a bit.. I tend to over do things so.. I changed my plug “ I do that every year” It’s cheap... and decided to change my fuel filter.. when I disconnect it from the petcock.. The line was hard and stiff/brittle
It’s been 2 years since I replaced the in line small little clear aftermarket filter.. just seeing how often you guys change yours?

Old 02-19-2020, 03:18 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I don't use an inline filter...never have. Mine is an '06 with many miles on it. I haven't used an inline filter on a bike since my first bike in 1970.

You're right about the fuel line hardening. Eventually they all do it, but probably the ethanol in the fuel quickens the pace. The fuel line material over quite a few years that's lasted the best for me has been Motion Pro...the gray stuff. It seems more resistant over time to UV, ethanol, engine heat, and just fuel in general.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been using the inline filters, but you have to watch them as I've heard some of the cheap plasttic ones dissolve and get soft after awhile. You'd think they'ed be fuel proof..lol

I 2nd the Motion Pro line, it holds up well and doesn't kink easily. Not exactly cheap, but not likely to leave you stranded somewhere (or in a ball of flames).

As for when I change mine... not very often. I tend not to think about it until something is leaking, LOL

Old 02-19-2020, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

There's an inline filter? guess that answers that question.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Ya just wondering...
I did replace with a pro motion line and a Outlaw filter that seemed pretty tough..

Old 02-20-2020, 02:00 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Abramsgunner
I've been using the inline filters, but you have to watch them as I've heard some of the cheap plasttic ones dissolve and get soft after awhile. You'd think they'ed be fuel proof..lol

I 2nd the Motion Pro line, it holds up well and doesn't kink easily. Not exactly cheap, but not likely to leave you stranded somewhere (or in a ball of flames).

As for when I change mine... not very often. I tend not to think about it until something is leaking, LOL
Yeah, on some of those plastic fuel filters softening up or even coming apart, again I think it's the ethanol. Over many years with ethanol I haven't noticed the issue that some have with it damaging carb parts or it necessarily going bad quickly as long as it was treated with a fuel stabilizer for storage or sitting in the bike for long periods.

However, I've seen it induce a funky color change in many plastic gas tanks and attack those plastic fuel filters. Some components seemed prone to reacting to ethanol and some don't. You never know for sure.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

What filter?
Ethanol gas never touches my 07, or my Prairie 360, chainsaw, lawnmower, weedwacker, snowblower.
Wouldn't run it in my truck if I was rich.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:55 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by old man
What filter?
Ethanol gas never touches my 07, or my Prairie 360, chainsaw, lawnmower, weedwacker, snowblower.
Wouldn't run it in my truck if I was rich.
Lots of people don't have access to non-E fuel and have to run it. Still, I've never really had problems with it in the actual running/performance of my bikes, even when I was racing the state enduro circuit on higher performance bikes than my KLX.

I do notice that you shouldn't let it sit idle very long without stabilizer for obvious reasons. Stabil and Berrymans fuel stabilizer has always worked in all my lawn equipment and anything else that's going to sit awhile. I've heard people claim that E-gas will eat up carb parts and such, and I just haven't seen that in any of my stuff over the decades that E-gas has been in existence.

I think in those cases where corrosion and damage did occur, it was after untreated E-gas sat in the fuel system and even dried up for the most part, causing the green fungus, pitting, and other horrors that can happen in worst case scenarios.