How Often Do U Crash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: How Often Do U Crash?

ORIGINAL: mustang

I've biffed it plenty of times off-road, but not once on the KLX yet (knock on wood). I've come close lots of times, but I find the KLX is easy to recover when it gets out of shape. However, I try to avoid mud when I can.

I put my DR650 down on-road once on my way to work. It was 0-dark-thirty, and I was rounding a turn going about 30 MPH, like I've done a hundred times before. That morning, the street was covered with anti-freeze and oil (I have no idea why) and I low-sided right into the curb across the street. Busted turn-signals, busted mirror, but I was fine. The real pisser was that during my slide, my boot laces somehow wrapped around the shifter. I couldn't get my leg off the bike, and I couldn't get any traction with my hands because the road so slippery. I just laid there with the bike on top of me like a turtle on its back while my fellow motorists blew their horns and drove around me. [:@] I finally got my boot untied and got the bike up, but I was covered in anti-freeze and oil. I was lucky that I didn't get hurt, but I was still pissed.
Crazy! Honking at you? Nothing like being helped by our fellow Americans, what's that all about?! It seems driving, shopping and standing in check out lines brings out the worst in us! Glad you survived it!!

Old 12-10-2007, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm on the high crash bonus miles plan, I drop it pretty much everytime i hit the trails- even if its a "come to a stop and the trail dipps too low for me to put a foot down"[8D]

my bars are bent and I need new ones....... just wait to see who has the strongest the Tusk alums. only lasted a year but they where cheap so maybe its the way to go- just buy new every year. Unless there is a bar that will go the distance.

every couple of times out I bite it pretty hard; hard enough to be really glad I have good gear...... this thing just keeps ticking!!!

Old 12-10-2007, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Like Mark, I'm usually good for at least one "soil sample" per ride!

Glad that this post was started since I have always felt that I was in serious need of more expeience since I'm encoutering the ground more often that I'd like! HA! Lucky though, so far, as it only hurts my ego. First time on the trails in Death Valley going up to Chloride Cliffs with a pair of XT225 rider buds, (me on the KLX250), & I dropped it since my bud in front missed a shift, caught neutral and I was right up on him. I elected to stop rather than to pass him. (Really tight trail with "bow-quos" slippery rocks and no place to drop the foot for safe stop.) Down went me and the KLX. Broke the left side mirror mount. (Should have made him buy me a new one.) He misses shifts often!![:@]

Otherwise it's usually the sand that gets me in the 90 degree turns! Hurts my pride as my best bud on the KTM never falls & is always in the lead! Expert class rider with years of enduro riding experience. He invariably can find the hairiest, knarliest & most spine chilling places to ride. Riding with him makes me a betterrider though, I think!!

Most of the time I seem to fall due to some action by the rider in front of me... so I try tostay way behind anticipating some dumb thing to happen in fron to me.

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

When I went riding out in the desert the other day, I almost bit it by locking the front tire in a deep rut, I throttled it and came out without going over the bars but it was close!

So how often - honestly now, do you crash and burn on the trails or single track? Do you crash 1 out of 10 rides or everytime or once in a blue moon?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wedge

every couple of times out I bite it pretty hard; hard enough to be really glad I have good gear......
ATGATT...All The Gear All The Time...

I seem to take a fall about once a year, typically when the ground gets cold/frozen.. I took a spill two weekends ago coming out if a rather large lightly iced puddle (many of you are familiar with the Pine Barron's puddles...) and lost it and had to ditch the bike... cost me a set of handlebars,hand guards, helmet and slightly tweaked hand (slammed it into the GPS on the way down- slight fracture..4 to 6 week's off) but could have been much worse...

ATGATT.... and of course, tuck and roll baby!! tuck and roll....

Old 12-10-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't fall that much. This past riding season I went down I think three times. Not hard enough to bend anything just something to keep me humble.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:57 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I was watching Live with Regis and Kelly the other day (don't hate) and they always have this contest where someone in the audience is picked from the person on the phone and they have a chance. Well Regis said pick a number from 1 to 187 or something close, and I yelled out 42 and 3 seconds later the lady on the phone said 42!!!! My mom and wife looked at me as if I had some sort of special power, and so I am now wondering that maybe I am never going to fall with the bike, I mean it could happen right?...........No? Yea I didn't think so, but I thought I would throw that out there anyway.[8D]

Old 12-11-2007, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

and so I am now wondering that maybe I am never going to fall with the bike,
You just jinxed yourself Watch out next time u ride!

Old 12-11-2007, 02:15 AM

On the street 3 times. In the dirt about as often as I start my bike.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:18 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dirt_beaver

ORIGINAL: deej

and so I am now wondering that maybe I am never going to fall with the bike,
You just jinxed yourself Watch out next time u ride!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I've never crashed.....

Quick Reply: How Often Do U Crash?