How Often Do U Crash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default How Often Do U Crash?

When I went riding out in the desert the other day, I almost bit it by locking the front tire in a deep rut, I throttled it and came out without going over the bars but it was close!

So how often - honestly now, do you crash and burn on the trails or single track? Do you crash 1 out of 10 rides or everytime or once in a blue moon?

Old 12-10-2007, 03:23 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: How Often Do U Crash?

So far I've been pretty fortunate, mostly just small falls. I went down once or twice today, the slick pine needles over the sandy trails was like ice and my front wheel kept wanting to wash out especially toward the end of the day when I was tired but it was all low speed technical stuff as I was pushing myself to keep up with the faster dudes. That's probably typical for me, if I push, I fall, if I don't, I don't.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm new to offroad motorcycling this year, so my experiences may be different than the norm. I ride easy and tough jeep roads, single track and ATV tracks.

With a dozen and a half or so rides this year, I've wiped out as many as 5 or 6 times during the ride (damn slippery, snotty mud and stock tires) to zero times per ride. I usually wipe out at least once per ride. Typically, it's not anything too violent or resulting in nothing more than a scratch or a bruise. Also, it usually occurs at slow speed. Sometimes the bike just slips out from underneath me and I just "walk" off it without my body ever touching the ground. Other times it may be due to riding too slowly, not enough momentum. Only once or twice was I thankfull that I was wearing a helmet as my head landed on the rocks.

Knock on wood, I have never impacted a tree (scraped up against them plenty) or lost it coming off of a jump.

I supposed that any one of these wipeouts could have resulted in a more than minor injury. (I broke my foot once by dropping myself out of an attic, a jump of about three feet.) However, I think that if you're prudent and protect yourself, you won't put yourself in a truly dangerous position or hurt yourself too bad. ...but you know, **** happens.

An old timer told me that you can expect to wipe out a couple of times each ride.

Added:

To put it in perspective, in riding a street bike regularly for 25 years (I put almost 30,000 miles on my last street bike), I never went down once.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:30 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Haven't yet, in the 6500 miles I have been riding, but I know its coming right? I mean its not if, its when, right?

Old 12-10-2007, 03:48 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Depending on the ride for the day? One track hill climbs would see me eating dirt two or more times for the day. I need another dirt ride to see what the high desert brings me.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I fall all the time

Old 12-10-2007, 04:17 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Haven't yet, in the 6500 miles I have been riding, but I know its coming right? I mean its not if, it when, right?
your not riding hard enough deej.
I hadn't rode in about 15 yrs when i got my bike 2 summers ago. the first summer i went down many times. twice hard enough to mangle some parts. this past summer mainly slow speed little drops, nothing big.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:17 AM

I usually crash about every time I go on hard rides (trying to keep up with the fast guys). When I am just exploring in the woods I usually take it easy(ish). There might be a low speed tip over but nothing major. I have broken too many bones and need to take it easy but I have only hadmy KLX a little over a year and have broken 3 ribs. Don'tattend a motocross race and then go for a ride the next day, it will hurt!

Old 12-10-2007, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

On my YZ, I would say 3 out of 5 rides. On the KLX never! It's a lot heavier than the YZ and I'm a little spooked to go down with it so I ride very conservatively.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:03 AM
1st Gear Member

At least one get off per tank of gas at a minimum. Probably more lol

Quick Reply: How Often Do U Crash?