How Many Miles On Your 250s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2007 klx250s

Bought my KLX with only 368 miles on it recently.
I've added radiator protectors, a skid plate, Clarke 2.6 gallon fuel tank, removed smog hoses, and re-jetted the carburetor.
Bike is used mainly off road with only road use to get to the trails.
Just mounted Dunlop D606 tires (not in photo) at 1370 miles. The rear tire was worn out and the front was about 1/2 gone.
Recently changed the oil to 15W-50 Rock Oil (motorcycle specific fully synthetic racing oil).
Also have added switched wiring for and RAM mounts for GPS and BMW style 12 volt outlet wired and fused directly to battery (for battery tender and heated clothing).

I'm very happy with this bike.

Doug in NC

Name:  IMG_0369Large.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  100.1 KB

Name:  Smog.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  15.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0441.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  120.4 KB

Old 10-14-2008, 03:57 PM
1st Gear Member

looks good

Old 10-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

15W-50 oil...... thats a little thick.....

Old 10-14-2008, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 15W-50 oil...... thats a little thick.....

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
15W-50 oil...... thats a little thick.....
Why do consider 15W-50 thick. The manufacturers recommended oil is 10W-40 and that's dino oil.
Synthetic oil can be run at higher viscosity rating with the same effect as lower dino oil viscosity.
Besides you have to keep these little 250's buzzed up in the higher RPM ranges to ride them and that raised the oil temperatures.
As long as you warm up the engine before riding there's absolutely nothing wrong with 15W-50

Doug in NC

Old 10-14-2008, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

15W-50 and you're talking about heated clothing. I'll take 0W-40 or 0W-30 thank you.
Nice job on the 12V hookup BTW.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dpippin
Why do consider 15W-50 thick. The manufacturers recommended oil is 10W-40 and that's dino oil.
Synthetic oil can be run at higher viscosity rating with the same effect as lower dino oil viscosity.
Besides you have to keep these little 250's buzzed up in the higher RPM ranges to ride them and that raised the oil temperatures.
As long as you warm up the engine before riding there's absolutely nothing wrong with 15W-50

Doug in NC
15 50 is almost diesel motor oil..... you will get more power out of 10 40 synthetic than 15 50 syn.... i can see ur point, but what is wrong with 10 40 syn? I have run regular oil in my bike the whole time, as long as you keep it changed its ok, yea syn is better... syn in both of our vehicles, HHR and Sierra...

The motors are designed to run with a certain viscosity, and you thicken it up and its not gonna run as good, try 10 40 syn or if it doesnt get that cold try 0 40.... I worked at a quick lube for 2 years and my dad is a mechanic, i have a pretty good handle on oils and performance...

Old 10-14-2008, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Off topic:

EMS 0525

Yeah I live on PA. I live in Toon Town (Altoona). This place is the new drug hub for NYC because you can get here so easy. You just go down I80, then down I99 and your here. And since its such a depressed super ghetto area everyone is very.....chemical inclined lets just say. So people eat up drugs around here like its candy....nose candy that is. It use to be coc, then H got real big, now they say coc is coming back in again. Its bad when a small railroad community, just big enough to be classified as a city by PA standards has freakin gangs. You see the guys dressed in all red if you drive around the ghetto. I mean, thats messed up. Its like having country rural gangs. You can take a pellet gun and hit woods in any direction from any place in the city but we have gangs. Pharmacies getting held up ALL the time. Even a Rite Aid right on the main drag on Plank Road by the damn mall got held up for OXY. Thats big now too, OXY's. Then, thats not even counting the street robberies. People will stab or shoot you even IF you give them your money. Dude was taking a break from work working 3rd shift and two guys came up and asked him for his wallet, then stabbed him. I mean, this is Altoona, not Pittsburgh of Philly! People busting right into your home doing home invasions. Its all the freakin NYC and NJ people doing this. And State College which is really nice due to Penn State and its revenue is starting to take some of the crime. I assume its due to the fact that State college is on the way to Altoona coming from NYC. Just yesterday they had what was called a "strong arm robbery". A young college girl was walking down the street on her cell phone and a 6'2" black dude comes up behind her and cold ***** her right in the face. I mean, come freaking on!!! What a coward. If hes gonna rob her, like he needs to do that, he can overpower her for money and leave the situation be, theres no need to be punching young girls in the face. The girl actually had to go to the hospital for facial injuries. Thats so damn sad. And State College isn't even classified as a city, its still a borough. A very large wealthy borough, but still a borough. And its upscale too, thats the bad part.

On Topic:

I've thought about switching to synthetic. I think I might do it. It seems as if these small 250 bores being held at constant road speeds almost need it. Maybe not, but I think it will make me feel better. haha.
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARI

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

JasonFMX.. i can understand ur feelings. ask yourself why drugs are so expensive which is the main cause for the drug related crimes and general neighborhood seediness.... im in the backwoods north of carbondale.. same **** minus the gangs.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I know, and the cops are trying but its just not enough. Sometimes they do raids and bust 20 dealers at a time. Its like holy crap. I didn't know there were 20 dealers in all of Altoona TO bust, let alone just 20 out of the whole group. So how many are there really? and if you bust 20, do 30 take their place?

Its time for the citizens to stand up and say they aren't gonna take it and.. not deal street justice Charlses Brosnan style...but just arm themselvs so next couple times someone tries to get robbed they get their asses capped back. Maybe then it will stop. I could care less about actual drug usage, I just don't like seeing innocent people getting robbed, stabbed, and shot. That is unacceptable
________
BDSM FLOGGING

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Since this thread has turned into "How many miles and guns..." I'll add that I sold 4 of my dust collecting guns to cough up the disposable cash for my 09 KLX(something that I will use more). Six weeks later, I have 600 miles on it. Don't worry though, I kept two of my favorite hole punchers.

Quick Reply: How Many Miles On Your 250s?