How lubed are you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member
Default How lubed are you?

If you grab your chain with your thumb and index finger and flex each link in opposite directions, how much should it give?

Mine sticks a little. I clean and lube my chain after dirty rides and just every few rides if it's just street.

Is this just dependent on tension? If there was no tension maybe it would be really loose and not stick at all?

Old 09-04-2008, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

It's fine, These are O-ring chains so it's a good sign that they stick a little. I just spray mine with Dupont multi-purpose spray lube every oil change plus once in between oil changes.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gerrynolan
It's fine, These are O-ring chains so it's a good sign that they stick a little. I just spray mine with Dupont multi-purpose spray lube every oil change plus once in between oil changes.
I use the same stuff. Something like $5 for the big can at Lowes.

I think the previous owner and the dealer had some sloppy lubricating and oil work done. There is oil splatter and crap all up in there that I can't get out with regular car wash soap. One of these days I'll have to do a complete drive chain assembly cleaning.

Which brings to mind, are there motorcycle cleaning services? I'd pay $30 for a spotless clean, lube and wax.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

A pressure washer really cleans them up nicely. It's a good idea to clean the stuck on gunk off the chain then lube it good. I get my Dupont at Lowes too...Best price I've ever found. You chain will last a long time. I had to adjust my chain once and it hasn't stretched since. The harder you ride it the more it will stretch. There are specs in the manual for measuring the chain for wear.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gerrynolan
A pressure washer really cleans them up nicely. It's a good idea to clean the stuck on gunk off the chain then lube it good. I get my Dupont at Lowes too...Best price I've ever found. You chain will last a long time. I had to adjust my chain once and it hasn't stretched since. The harder you ride it the more it will stretch. There are specs in the manual for measuring the chain for wear.
I thought you weren't supposed to use a pressure washer on o-rings?