How long do you guys recommend warming the bike up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:18 AM
Default How long do you guys recommend warming the bike up?

I'm always real curious about this topic. How long do you mechanics recommend idleing the bike before normal take off? I live in a mild weather climate and I let the bike usually run about 2 minutes or so before I take off mellow. I keep it mellow till the bike is totally warm.

What do you guys recommend?

The guy at the dealer told me when I feel warmth on the cilender then its ok.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:27 AM
Default RE: How long do you guys recommend warming the bike up?

I just got mine, and never had a bike like this before, but I would venture these guesses based on what I've read so far and what I've been doing:

Wait at least 1 minute before start riding, but then ride it fairly gently -- don't race the engine;

Wait probably 10 minutes into riding before you race the engine.

I suppose you could just wait until it gets hot before riding, and then rip on it right away...but (a) I wouldn't want to let a bike sit and idle that long (a little too long and its hot with no air flowing through the radiator to cool it), and (b) who wants to wait like that?!

This may not be a mechanic's informed answer, but I'd put money you'd be fine with this general approach. The big idea is not to race a cold engine. Other than that, I wouldn't analyze it too much!

This reminds me, for both my thumper 650 BMW (fuel injected) and my boxer 1200GS BMW, BMW says, and riders on ADVRider and F650 seem to agree, to just start her up and ride away. No waiting. And there have been reports of damage resulting from letting their BMWs sit idling ('warming up') too long. I recall stories on advrider of guys who burned their boxer bikes up (literally) by just leaving them idle in the garage for 10+ minutes ("hey, I was waiting for my heated grips to get warm before I rode off, and my oil boiled and the site glass blew out and my bike caught on fire"). I generally never let my bikes just sit and idle for many minutes.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I pull the choke out, start the bike, immediately ride off gently, and upon the tach hitting past 4000 rpm, I push the choke back in. I don't believe in letting the bike warm up. I think you are doing more harm than good.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Totally stock I'd have to let it warm up for 3-4 minutes just so that it would run with the choke off. After rejetting I pull the choke part to start it, as soon as it fires I push it back in and its ready to go, no hesitation or anything but I give it a minute or 2 anyway to circulate the oil.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member

My experience with warming up the bike is, A Friend and I both had CR 125s and were going out for a ride, I lived down the block from him so I drove to his house. When I got their he just jumped on his bike and started It and took off. He did not warm the bike up. WE got about 1 block and BAM the rear tire locks up. We push the bike back to his house and tore down the top end only to find the piston had seized. When we went to the dealer to get new piston and rings we asked them why do you think this happened? the dealer asked, Did you warm the bike up? We said no, The dealer said that you cold seized the bike!! What happens when you cold seize the motor, Is the piston expands faster than the cylinder So the piston dose not have the proper room that it needs to expand. Since then I let the bikes warm up for a minute... I don't know If its only a two stroke thing but I'm not going to take the chance..

Old 07-31-2006, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

FYI - I need to choke to start, but my bike runs without choke immediately after starting (5 seconds).
It was like that stock, and is still like that after doing "the mods".

Muzzy full system, 40 pilot jet, 128 main, 2 turns out, crank breather mod, smog crap removed, UNI air filter.

I let it run for 1 minute then I ride gently for a few more minutes, then give er!

Old 07-31-2006, 09:07 PM

just thinking of the viscosity of oil.....it flows better when warmed up.