how long can an oil filter last?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default how long can an oil filter last?

Hey guys,

just a quick question... i change my oil... often.. usually every 500 - 1000 kms or so (usually after a weekend of hitting the trails).

with that said, i've been changing my filter every second oil change. Can i take it longer then that? could i do the oil constantly and only change the filter every 3000kms or so?

my dealer is far from my house and honestly, i'm feeling lazy on this sunday and would like to do the oil... but don't want to drive all the way to the dealer! it's been 2000kms since my last filter change.. oil's been done twice in that time...

thanks!

Last edited by higgs; 06-05-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: i'm dumb
Old 06-05-2011, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

May I suggest instead of getting a bunch of people's OPINIONs on this question, that you go to Bob is the Oil Guy website, read everything you can about filtration, THEN go to the Motorcycle Used Oil Analysis site and specifically look at the Insoluables numbers and how individuals with very low insoluable numbers changes the filter.

If you do this, you will learn that a good quality filter can last much longer than one standard oil change interval in an engine that doesn't have problems. You are changing it much more often than "standard". You'll also learn that filters get MORE efficient as they are used, up to the point that they begin to bypass due to being packed full. You'll also learn that there is also a time limit to filters, so, you don't want to go just by mileage.

If you do this, you won't be one of the people that just spout out how they do it, without any facts to back up their choice. It will take some time, that's for sure. But, if everyone did this, there would be a lot less arguing, a lot fewer numbers of people that complain about oil threads, and a lot more informative discussions on the subject.

All that said, MY interpretation of that information, which is supplemented by UOA's by a certified Tribologist (not just a clerk at the UOA lab....some of those people are simply numb-sculls), is that for shared-sump, wet-clutch, carbed thumpers, shearing is usually the biggest enemy, with environmental contamination and incorrect jetting contamination as the next biggest enemies. MOST people seem to be able to get 1000 miles, or more, if they use a good quality oil. Good quality doesn't necessarily mean High Priced. There are some high priced oils that shear quickly. MOST people that are changing their oil this regularly, see lower insoluable counts the second or even third cycle of using the filter....that's right...they leave the filter in for up to several oil changes. I wouldn't do this without a least one series of UOA's to make sure my bike in my conditions is OK...but, mine are.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

WOW - good site... i consider myself skooled!

thanks for the info bh58!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member

If you are a weekend off-roader, change the oil and filter every 1,000 miles. If you mostly drive on the streets with an once in a while off-road adventure, then change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles. If you just off-road the bike only, change the oil and filter every 500 miles.

Remember, the filter is a cheap insurance against Forgien Object Debris in the oil that could damage the rings, sleeves, bearings, or gears.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I change my oil about every 1500 km, and the filter at the regular intervals suggested by Kawasaki. I don't think putting fresh oil in is hurting the filter, or the bike.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
I change my oil about every 1500 km, and the filter at the regular intervals suggested by Kawasaki. I don't think putting fresh oil in is hurting the filter, or the bike.
If an individual doesn't want to do all the homework...follow ZW's recommendation. IF an individual DOES do all the homework, chances are, ZW's recommendation is exactly what you'll follow anyway!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Talking

Originally Posted by zomby woof

Pretty much how I do it. Oil every 1,000 miles. Filter occasionally.

David