How to load your dirtbike alone

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I just drive mine right up in my truck as well. Also load my brute force and kfx450 that way. Practice makes perfect! Never took out a back window or the front of my bed.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:47 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

The dual ramp is the way to go so that you can walk the bike up the ramp and control things. I cheat anymore and just use a trailer.

Name:  Trailor002.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  12.4 KB

Old 05-21-2012, 02:48 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleednGreen68
I just drive mine right up in my truck as well. Also load my brute force and kfx450 that way. Practice makes perfect! Never took out a back window or the front of my bed.
Well, good for you. We'll call you up for the next episode of "America's Got Talent".

Yeah, I see lots of people load ATVs that way. But that's what makes many 4-wheeled vehicles very good at crawling. Many people load their bikes this way, but the one day the carb hiccups or rider fatigue from a hard day's ride takes over, it could be ugly for your pickup...and maybe you.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Well, good for you. We'll call you up for the next episode of "America's Got Talent".

Yeah, I see lots of people load ATVs that way. But that's what makes many 4-wheeled vehicles very good at crawling. Many people load their bikes this way, but the one day the carb hiccups or rider fatigue from a hard day's ride takes over, it could be ugly for your pickup...and maybe you.
Lol. Hopefully not. God forbid.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I saw a video once where the guy put a milk crate on the ground by the tailgate. He just walked the bike up the ramp and stepped up on the milk crate like a little ladder. Went so smooth I was amazed...

Old 05-21-2012, 03:04 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC

Lol, I often ride mine up as well, but also use the two ramp, bike in gear and walk beside it while it does the work, sometimes.

One day, after a hard ride through all kinds of technical and precarious stuff, ledges, slick logs and rocks, steep downhills, slick rocky up-hills, all the while at a pretty fast clip, and at the end of the ride I rode my bike up into the bed of the truck, attached a tie down strap and took my helmet off, and my buddy looked at me and said, "You know, that was probably the most dangerous thing you did all day." He was probably right.

Someone relayed a story to me of a guy that just bought a nice bike from the dealership, took it out into the parking lot, started it up and proceeded to ride it up into the bed of his truck, no helmet or gear on or anything. The shop owner asked if he needed any help, and he said, no I got this. Unfortunately the ramp slipped and he broke his leg. I always think of that story when I'm about to do it. Not that it stops me, but at least I know better, I just do it anyway. Sometimes. My ramps have straps that pull them tight against the gate, though, so something would have to go really wrong for the ramp to slip. And I also have a Rekluse, so stalling is almost impossible. And I always have at least a helmet on, so in my case at least, it's far less dangerous than it actually looks.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member

^^^ Straps. Thats a great idea. Thanks for sharing. Theres just no other option for me as I ride alone most of the time. Thanks.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
I saw a video once where the guy put a milk crate on the ground by the tailgate. He just walked the bike up the ramp and stepped up on the milk crate like a little ladder. Went so smooth I was amazed...
That is exactly the way I do it, except I use a light weight step stool that is also my bike stand. I have a very slick bed liner and if I rode up it I would most likely slip out from under me.

When I load my 4 wheeler I just ride up. I strap the ramp to the hitch so it doesn’t fling out.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Just make sure you film it if it goes south.

http://youtu.be/O3jVdyHr5Eo

http://youtu.be/XPu6YwitIRo

Last edited by dan888; 05-21-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:46 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

There's a vid floating around on the net of a big ol' corn fed boy loading a KLR650 by hand into the bed of a pickup...no ramp, no winch, no photoshop.

Quick Reply: How to load your dirtbike alone