How is the Job market for the Computer Field in Florida?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buffalony
It was meant to target the folks that are in this forum that live in FL. The IT career is a small knit group. There is high probability that you will work with, speak with, or having meatings with folks even after job changes due to technology expo's and such. Most IT people know what the market place in their geographic region is like even when they are not looking for work. Many companies dont advertise their IT positions because there is no need to. Word of mouth spreads like wild fire. Due to the fact that I live in Buffalo, it is extremely dificult to find companies who have IT needs because of the topics discussed above.

I am already on every job board known to me. It was just a question

I am not a programmar, nor do I know any of the programming languages. I am more of a Cisco Engineer.
+1 The last job interview I had was due to BS'ing with a friend in a bar. They heard through the grapevine that their company was looking for a Database Administrator. I ended up not taking the job (pay and benefits were less than what I was making at the time), but the job was never advertised.

I wish you luck Buffalony. I'm doing OK for now, but if I get laid off, I'll be in the same boat as you.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

You might want to look into the reserves as an additional paycheck. You wouldn't have to go back on active duty, but you can reap a lot of benefits. I'm in the guard (army), and except for two tours in Iraq, it's essentially one weekend per month, two weeks per year. Just as a reference, I've had years where I've made $30K just from the guard. That didn't include my full time job. It's a great source of additional income, and should be easy for you since you're prior military. Also, at the end of 20 years total time (your active duty counts), you can retire. You can't start collecting until age 60 but what the heck, it will supplement social security and you also get all your health insurance for free.

Not a bad deal and something to think about.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I have already started trying to drop some weight. I need to drop 50lbs before I even walk into a recruiter office. I need to drop 60+lbs to keep me from getting my *** whooped by every Drill Seargent and ending up on the fat farm as soon as I walk in. Boot was easy for me at 17 because I was lean and mean went I went in. I have grown to be more like mellow and full of jello.

I have some time to think about it before I run out of cash due to funds on hand and a 401k with money in it that I could cash.

I was prior Army. Some of the other issues I face are Apnea brought on by the fact that I am about 60lbs over weight, and I blew my knee apart when I was on active duty which pretty much wrecked my military career the first time I was in.