How hard is a 350 install??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranger Ron
When I did mine I spent about 2 hours making a custom piston pin puller. Then I removed one of the circlips and just pushed the pin out with my finger.
Isn't that the same principle that umbrellas work on?

--
Mikko

Old 09-21-2011, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

0-1k ASL or so.. 2k at the most..

132 main, 40 pilot, needle on 3rd clip, screw a couple turns out.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I'm interested. Can you post a copy?
Sorry, I tossed it after the job was finished. It was just basic stuff. I just didn't want to do something stupid and out of order that would bite me later.

Originally Posted by 09'Kawi250s
haha ok great! Thanks for all the info guys! i dont think it will be to difficult. I imagine it comes with pretty good instructions too.
Nope. Bill just sends the parts. No instructions whatsoever. You need the service manual.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

oh well crap.. is it a clymers service manual or somethin?

and whats ASL?

Old 09-21-2011, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

ASL = American Sign Language, ,,,,or in this case Above Sea Level

You need the Kawasaki service manual. I think you only need the base manual, the 1997 klx250/300 manual. I think this manual is still available in the stickys for free. Do some homework here on KF, there is a lot of valuable info, and pics. Read everything you can before even ordering the kit. Patience and careful work are one of the main ingredients . If you go step by step , it's not hard. If you hurry or are careless you could have catastrophic results. I did a picture write up on the 351 and so did armycopter. Search around you'll find them.
Dan

Last edited by dan888; 09-22-2011 at 03:13 AM. Reason: TNC is a big smartypants, nosey parker.. :D :D
Old 09-22-2011, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

ya i googled it and i saw american sign language haha.. well thanks dan!

Old 09-22-2011, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 09-22-2011, 12:51 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
ASL = American Sign Language, ,,,,or in this case Above Sea Level

You need the Kawasaki service manual. I think you only need the base manual, the 1997 klx250/300 manual. I think this manual is still available in the stickys for free. Do some homework here on KF, there is a lot of valuable info, and pics. Read everything you can before even ordering the kit. Patients and careful work are one of the main ingredients . If you go step by step , it's not hard. If you hurry or are careless you could have catastrophic results. I did a picture write up on the 351 and so did armycopter. Search around you'll find them.
Dan
Dan..."Patients" are only involved if severe injury occurs during the assembly process...like bolting your thumb under the cylinder while torquing it down...LOL!

Now I'm obviously joking with you here...but I am still a little upset about you making fun of me in that recent post that highlights my...uh...physical handicap while eating corn on the cob.

And Ron...let's not leave you out. You spent 3 days making a piston pin puller for this job? Well...after seeing your operating room...err, uh...I mean shop, why does that not surprise me?

OK...enough fun. Seriously, it's obvious what all the success stories here had in common is that they took their time and did the job right. A service manual a little mechanical knowledge can be a dangerous thing...poor jhoff comes to mind...but it's also a successful combination when done slowly and carefully...and maybe one of the most rewarding and fun things you can do. The self-satisfaction upon completion of a project like this is awesome...personally and mechanically.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

^^ Yep.. WHen you press the magic red button and it roars to life - it's a good feeling

Then you ride it and it really makes it all worth it!

Old 09-22-2011, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

awesome! So i know i need to replace my cam chain. Is there anything else in there i should replace? Like cam Chain guide?

Quick Reply: How hard is a 350 install??