How fun is this bike off road?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 07:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: How fun is this bike off road?

ORIGINAL: T
I am considering buying a 2007 KLX250S. I am a 5'6" female and live in Albuquerque, NM. This bike will be used 90% off road. The on road part is nice to get to the trails. How is it in the sand?
Thanks,
Tina from Albuquerque.
Tina best I can say is if ya can ride hard and want to ride hard on a street legal bike ........ a ktm or husky is what you want...... but if ya want a bike thatis a little mellow and upgradeable to be acceptable and way cheaper than a ktm the klx may be for you........ with standard mods,300 piston or bigger, etc it does just fine in the sand and I can hang with crf 250s , but my friend's yz250 two smoke is no comparison.......but it has no tag.Here's a pic of the sand we ride in...........I've never ridden in the desert what is that sand like?

Name:  2-8-07008.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  85.8 KB

Old 03-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Its an awsome bike, good for everything, i ride in mostly mud, but have trucked the bike to Fl and have ridden in that sugar sand stuff.... thats fun riding there.... and its good on the road. All around good bike you will never stop modifiying.... i just ordered another goodie for it last night.... i think it will be another first for this specific mod on this site.....

Old 03-29-2007, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

[8D]Its great fun

Old 03-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

you know you wanna join the fun......
Name:  fun085.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  41.6 KB

Old 03-29-2007, 05:13 PM
T

Thanks everyone for all the information.

It sounds like the kawi 250s may be the bike for me. I am not a an agressive rider, so I don't need a bike that is too agressive. My other choices I was considering were the Honda 250x, the new Honda mini mx 4 stroke 150R, or the Kawi 300R.

I really can't see much difference between the Kawi 250s and the 300r. The seat height is a bit higher, the suspension is a more adjustable, and it's has a little bigger engine. If that's the all the differences, I'd rather have a lower seat height and the ablitiy to go on the road, too.

The Honda 250x is another tall bike. I think it's in the same class as the Kawi 300R. The Honda little MX is a a race bike, which I don't intend to do. It would be fun but I might be a little small for me. I am 5'6" and 140#. I didn't feel right when I stood up, it felt a little small. I do like to stand when I ride.

My little honda trail bike has very basic suspension in the front. I like the plusher feel of the inverted forks. I rode a Yamaha wr250f ( the enduro with a headlight 2006) and really like the ride compared to my Honda, but it was too tall. So, that's what I am looking for. The Kawi 250s has the forks I'm looking for, the seat height is the good and it feels perfect when standing on the footpegs. If I feel it needs more pep, I can do the modifications that you all suggested. Will the Kawi machanics do what's best. I mean, if I get a slip on exhaust will they rejet?

I hope I am on the right track with my thinking. If not, please let me know. I do have a question, my honda has a 4stroke 2 valve engine, and the Kawi has a 4 stroke 4 valve, what is the advantage of 4 vs.2. valves?

Thanks again for all the help. The picture of the bike in the sand is great. It looks like some of the dunes in the New Mexico area. There is a lot of thick sand out here. I ride on the west mesa of Albuquerque . I'll be riding on dirt roads and all of a sudden there will be deep sand patches. It looks like the bike has enough power to plow through it if it can be ridden in the dunes.

Tina

Old 03-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Its an awsome bike, good for everything, i ride in mostly mud, but have trucked the bike to Fl and have ridden in that sugar sand stuff.... thats fun riding there.... and its good on the road. All around good bike you will never stop modifiying.... i just ordered another goodie for it last night.... i think it will be another first for this specific mod on this site.....
Any hints?

Old 03-29-2007, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

All around good bike you will never stop modifiying.... i just ordered another goodie for it last night.... i think it will be another first for this specific mod on this site.....
Any hints?
Come on, Deej!A good pole dancer never reveals their tricks before opening night ... uh ...or so I've heard!

Old 03-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

come on deej.... i told you on messenger yesterday.... its on its way... but its backordered.... shhh... dont let the cat out just yet.... ill post it up when i get it.... ( its nothingreal big guys)

Old 03-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

[/quote]

Come on, Deej!A good pole dancer never reveals their tricks before opening night ... uh ...or so I've heard!
[/quote]

Hey look we don't need to know what you do in your spare time, if you want to pole dance that's your business. [sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=owned.gif]

Old 03-29-2007, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Never tried it myself, but it certainly looks like fun ... um ... from what I've seen on TV. (Mike takes a breif moment to exchangethe foot in his mouth for the other foot.)

Anyway, ERIC is the pole dancer, at least officially at PWI.!

Quick Reply: How fun is this bike off road?