how far would you go.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default how far would you go.

Today i was at the gas station and a 650l pulled up to a pump. He was loaded down with gear. Anyhow i walked over and talked to him. He left Cali Aug 1. That's one big dual sport ride. he was headed to new york then back to Cali. Made me think.... Ya the klx is small, but how far would you drive the bike. I've got trackmasters on now. My bike runs 7.5k at the indicated 66mph. which is more like 60. Could i run the bike 200 miles a day, or is it just not goin to do it. I know it's not goin to be comfortable. Planning on a 70mile each way trip on Wed. Also goin to put the 14 CS back on to drop the revs alittle. What's everyones experience with goin distance on the bike. I know it's not goin to be comfortable, but i'll deal with that.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

if i fell upon a few grand, cali to new york and back would be on of the first things i would do. grant it, i would take my time, leave days to change tires and do valves, its something im doing to do before i die one way or another. ive done 380 miles in one day, and about 1200 miles in 4 days, so its definitely do able for me. its all what you will put up with. if you hate you butt going numb, working on the bike, or being away from home for extended periods of time, this may not be your gig, but people like me, its a calling.

along the same lines, the thing that got me onto advrider was a guy, riding a honda ruckus (50cc 4 stroke scooter) across america, sad to say hes got us all beat.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:57 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

The KLX would/could do it. It comes down to the person for something like this. It's something I wouldn't do, as so many more motorcycles would make a trip like that much more enjoyable. People are different, and many of them are different at different times of their lives. I did the long, long motorcycle trips during my life. Now I like to take a motorcycle more particular to the job at hand and haul it to an area I want to ride and explore. I want to camp, and I want to bring more camp gear and ammenities to make the accomodations more enjoyable. I don't want a motel/hotel, as I want to experience the out-of-doors in that area. The next person may want something totally different at this point in their lives. It's a big world with lots of stuff to do and lots of ways to do it. Do it your way. The motorcycle is often the least restrictive element in the equation.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd do it on my KLX. It would do it. Just got to make sure its all ready to go. I would have to get more streetable tires that are ok in dirt. I want to do a trip to CO from KS which aint that far. But I'd have to research on the things I would need and try to pack light. I have my bike geared wayy high. 15/39 right now and it does about 6k at 60 to 65. My cousins took their KLR and KTM on a trip up to Utah from KS and I'd like to go with them. I will take the lil KLX with the big bikes anydays. Yea the seat sucks and the fuel capacity sucks. But you can fix that with a bigger tank, or add gas cans and a nicer seat. I'd rather ride the KLX up in the mountains than try and wrangle a big KLR.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

The bike will easily do 200 miles a day, in dirt or on the pavement. Usually you don't make much more than 50 miles in one hour even driving a car when you are going long distances. It just seems to work out that way. I would not think twice about doing an around the world trip on a KLX. You just have to want it bad enough.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:13 AM
1st Gear Member

ya, i have no plans to ride to cali on the klx, but thinking next summer i will take a few trips around michigan, ride till i see something worth stopping and take a break.... meet the locals etc... 6days on and 8 days off leaves me alot of time to travel. Just don't want to hurt or wear out my bike before it's time.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

No worries about that.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Paging Ranger Ron.... Ranger Ron to the white courtesy phone!

--
Mikko

Old 09-13-2011, 02:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I put about 300miles on in one day with the trackmasters on and the throttle nearly pinned for the whole ride. Thought it might scatter the engine but all was good.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I regularly ride 200 miles plus in a day off road. I live where they have the Shenandoah 500. I ride pretty much the same forest roads they hold that event on, there are a few roads they open just for that event however most of it is the same. You might want to look into the Trans American Trail. That's now on my list of things to do.

Quick Reply: how far would you go.