How do YOU haul your dirtbike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlkDakDave
I really like those "old school" wheels. That red sets off the moon caps perfect.
That really is a cool truck!

Old 02-28-2019, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bill10
I have an older 1995 enclosed trailer that my son bartered some plumbing services for many years ago. I fixed it up pretty good and now use it to lug the motorcycle to rallies all over the southeast. We're actually heading to one this weekend. I have it set up for double chocks so I can get both my KLR and KLX in there together if I want. When I get to the rides and rallies I set up my cot and table in there and sleep in it at night. Some guys show up with these multi-thousands of dollar toy haulers; I think I might have only about $400 in my utility trailer. Also, I never go anywhere without my fishing poles.

$400! wow!
Very cool!
Where are these rallies? I'm in N.East FL (Flagler County)

Old 02-28-2019, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Davedottcom
$400! wow!
Very cool!
Where are these rallies? I'm in N.East FL (Flagler County)
There are rallies and big organized rides throughout the year in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and North Carolina. The rally this weekend is Devil's Creek, hosted in Brooksville by DixieDualSport. My 2019 rally calendar is a work in process. I've already been to two in Florida (one near you in ONF and the other down in southwest region). You can review it on my blog here: https://klxclamation.blogspot.com/

Where you live, you need to look into Apollo Motorcycle Club (New Smyrna Beach), hosts the Wild Bear Safari and CADS, Classic-Adventure-Dual-Sport (Keystone Heights), hosts the Polar Bear Ride and the Trans-Florida Adventure Rally that was this past weekend. I really wanted to do the Trans-Florida, but got convinced to join in another ride over near Sebastian, which ended up getting cancelled. Bummed.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bill10
I have an older 1995 enclosed trailer that my son bartered some plumbing services for many years ago. I fixed it up pretty good and now use it to lug the motorcycle to rallies all over the southeast. We're actually heading to one this weekend. I have it set up for double chocks so I can get both my KLR and KLX in there together if I want. When I get to the rides and rallies I set up my cot and table in there and sleep in it at night. Some guys show up with these multi-thousands of dollar toy haulers; I think I might have only about $400 in my utility trailer. Also, I never go anywhere without my fishing poles.

Do you have a side door? I have a 5X10 with a side door, but I need to put a real door **** on it instead of the bar lock set up. Maybe do a window too. Wife uses it for crafts and said something about staying in it at one show for a couple nights. It needs access from the outside in and inside out, not the one way external set up.

There is a killer thread in the ADVrider forum in the the garage section on some trailers done up for multiple use.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Do you have a side door? I have a 5X10 with a side door, but I need to put a real door **** on it instead of the bar lock set up. Maybe do a window too. Wife uses it for crafts and said something about staying in it at one show for a couple nights. It needs access from the outside in and inside out, not the one way external set up.

There is a killer thread in the ADVrider forum in the the garage section on some trailers done up for multiple use.
Unfortunately I do not have a door on the side. That would be soooo nice. Since my utility trailer has a ramp, I set up a canvas privacy enclosure as you can see rolled up in the top of the rear door in the photo. In cases where it gets really cold, I have a rope on a pulley to close the ramp door from inside although I really don't like that...I'm a little on the claustrophobic side. I also do not have a window, but I installed a roof vent like on a normal camper. Also, it's fairly well wired up with both 15 amp and 30 amp connections for site hookups. It has lights and a good bank of outlets for other stuff. Not shown in the photo, I have one of those cheap Harbor Freight 2000 watt generators, that keeps the lights on and electric blanket warm or a good fan. Lastly, I have a butane hot plate that you see there so I don't have to go too far for morning coffee. I went with the butane over the propane because it's so much cheaper to buy those butane bottles than propane bottles. I really like it. I see these little utility trailers re-purposed to toy haulers all over the place. There's nothing to them. Hey, I go to these places to ride all day. I don't need the comforts of home. This photo was at The Hooch Rally in Suches, Georgia last year.

1995 Haulmark

Old 03-03-2019, 08:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Having a conversion van for the last 20yrs I've always used the hitch carriers . Have owned quite a few but this one is defiantly the best and most ridged. a must for a KLR 650. but also good for piece of mind with the 250cc n 125cc

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo...w/MT70101.html
( I added the front wheel stop )

Old 03-03-2019, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kaw'ee
Having a conversion van for the last 20yrs I've always used the hitch carriers . Have owned quite a few but this one is defiantly the best and most ridged. a must for a KLR 650. but also good for piece of mind with the 250cc n 125cc

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo...w/MT70101.html
( I added the front wheel stop )
That looks awesome... definitely more heavy-duty than my set-up!