How do YOU haul your dirtbike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default How do YOU haul your dirtbike?

This Aluminum Carrier by Black Widow is awesome and it was under $200 with taxes and shipping.

https://www.discountramps.com/motorc...OdZzZPEMezzfDc

Old 02-25-2019, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Salt River Canyon, AZ

Pretty much the same setup as I have. At nearly 64 years old, I load mine up the opposite way so I can easily keep a hand on the front brake lever to ease the bike down the ramp.
I bought this one about 8 years ago after I gave my son the first one. Purchase both from here https://www.powersportsplace.com/par...-400/overview/

Old 02-25-2019, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Very Nice!
(Carrier AND Picture!)

I quickly learned I needed a way to hold the bike in place while I strap it down, so I made this strap. I let it hang over the tailgate as I load the bike then I hook the strap around the handle bars and let the bike lean away from the truck.
I keep it on after it's all strapped down as a safety strap, just in case... I've had ratchet straps loosen!

Last edited by Davedottcom; 02-25-2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: spellling errror!
Old 02-25-2019, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, it was on one of my trips out to AZ to go camp and ride. Lots of open country to ride in AZ. I like that your idea to hold the bike while setting up your straps. Because of my cap (camper), I lean the bike against the back window (using a towel to protect the glass) while getting my straps rigged up. I have that same fear about straps loosening up. I quit using cam style straps for that reason and went back to the rachet straps. Even with rachet straps, I stop after a few miles tighen them up and tie a safety to keep the strap from slipping.

I saw your bike on the "post a picture" thread. Gotta say I really like that digital camo and Kawa Green look. That contrast will help cagers see you.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I use a fork saver support brace. There are various sizes available. Using these or similar really help in getting the bike locked down solid.

Amazon Amazon

Dan888 or anther member here fabricated a box-type unit that fitted between the carrier and the skid place.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I use a fork saver support brace..
Cool! That was on my list of things to "make" but now that I see how cheap they are I'll be ordering one tonight!
Thanks!!!

Old 02-25-2019, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I lean the bike against the back window (using a towel to protect the glass)
Haha! I used to use a towel and lean it on the tailgate but the strap makes life so much easier, you'll see what I mean the first time you use it! The trick is to make it the exact length you need it to be... it has to be just long enough to let the bike lean away from the truck. It's also really helpful when unloading. You just loosen the straps (on the truck side) and let it lean away while you take off the other straps. If you look close at my pic I also have smaller pre-cut straps around the bottom of the wheels.

I saw your bike on the "post a picture" thread. Gotta say I really like that digital camo and Kawa Green look.
Thanks! The cost of those plastics made it a difficult decision to make but I am very happy with it and it gets a lot of compliments. As far as I know, mine is the only one like it!? Reminds me of that Johnny Cash song "One piece at a time" where he says something like... "you'll know it's me when I come through your town.....it's the only one around"!

Old 02-26-2019, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

My method of hauling was $5000, 4.0L V-6, 5 sp manual, with air, 3/4 drop kit so I can load/unload my bikes alone. When the destination is the goal, not the trip to there...

Old 02-26-2019, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice!

Old 02-26-2019, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I would like to have an older C10 or F150 before they made them massive semi style vehicles where the front bumpers are as big as my entire grill, but I can't afford one at the moment. So the Ranger suffices. I got an enclosed trailer, but the truck works so well I haven't even set it up for bikes, just for hauling the wife's craft stuff. I get around 20-25 mpg with the truck, adding the trailer drops it to 15 mpg.

I used the old style bumper racks when I was racing back in the 70s, worked fine, but those Reese hitch haulers are so nice they make sense for SUVs and all. As you guys are mentioning, the trick is how to tie them without any damage to either vehicle. They sure are easy to load with some of those set ups having ramps. If I was doing an SUV I'd use one for the most part.

One guy on the ADVrider site mentioned some using wheel chocks that hook in the axle, a bolt through it supporting the bike and holding it from leaning. No need for tie downs. Possibly a good robust set up for the front wheel through the axle would work with the Reese hitch rack. Getting them well triangulated while still being adjustable enough would be the trick. No pictures, just those in my head, but I'm sure there are some out there.

Quick Reply: How do YOU haul your dirtbike?