How do I check the valves

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Default How do I check the valves

Is it possible for some experienced member to explain how to check the valves on my KLX250S bike? Even some pictures would be of great help. I'm very new to this process, but I love my new bike and hope it will last many many years. Also, does anyone else experience a wobble in the bike at over 55-60 MPH? I'm thinking maybe a tire balance issue or maybe it's normal???
Thanks for any reply.
Mark

Old 04-15-2006, 11:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: How do I check the valves

Welcome MIA1 re the valves have a read here.
Re the wobble, whats your experiance riding? What are the conditions when you find it wobbles? Are your tyres inflated correctly, are your rims dent free, are both wheels aligned? Is it only when you pass a large vehicle in the other direction?

Old 04-15-2006, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

What psi are you running in the tires?
My bike came from the dealer with 18psi in the front and 20psi in the rear. I changed it to 22psi in the front and 25psi in the rear and it is much more stable on the road.
The front fender contributes a lot to the wobble too because the wind really knocks it around at high speeds. You can change it to a Supermotard fender if it really bothers you.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:36 PM

I have found a wobble since putting in the carb mods as suggested by BMWHD. Why would I connect the carb mods to a wobble? Well the little bike will get up to 85 mph indicated now, that's why.

I do have a supermotard front fender on the bike, but the wobble is still there. Just prior to taking it out, I put 22 in the front tire, 25 in the rear tire.

Most of it can be avoided by simply loosening your tight grip on the handlebars. The front end of the KLX250S is so sensitive, that even the most minute control input will be felt in the bike. We tend to try and control the wobble by control inputs, and all it does in confuse the bike. Just a gentle pressure on the bars and the wobble will not happen.

Old 04-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Default RE: wobble at high speeds

Wow, did not expect to have so many responses, thank you all. To answer a couple of your questions, I am an experienced rider, I have had bikes all my life, but street bikes, not dual sport bikes. I will check my psi today and adjust to 22/25psi. I'm finding the wobble on the road, and it's kinda scary to loosen the grip, I will work on that today, got the whole day to ride I just picked up the bike yesterday, so everything is new/dent free, and I'm assuming the tires are alligned and balanced, but if I can't get a comfortable ride over 50 I'll have to go back to the dealer, not what I want to do with what little time I have.(I'm 34 with a 3yr old and a wife that works evenings and weekends)
I'm gonna ride it stock for the first year and do my mods over the winter. Looking forward to that!!! Anyone tell me, does the 300 mod with exause and carb work void all warranties??? Abit scared of that, but she needs more low end power and I'll take the mid and high end as well. Thanks to you all,
Mark

Old 04-16-2006, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't imagine making it a 300 using Kawasaki parts and having a dealer do the work would void the warranty, however I'm guessing if you do it yourself more than likely it will. And the carb work ...well I'd say yes.

Re wobble, I guess mine prob does too, I can't say I have noticed cause I been riding dirt bikes for 30 years, I guess I'm just used to it. Marty is right tho more than likely you are just gripping the bars too tight

Old 04-16-2006, 09:12 AM

Marty was right, I was gripping too hard. Thanks... I'm going to talk to the dealer about the warranty issue. I'll report what he says if anyone is interested.
Rode all day, even more in love with the bike than ever, great on dirt/gravel, even got lost in some thick woods with many downed trees(6-8") and it performed like a dream. Yaaaahooooooo

Old 04-16-2006, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

One thing to do on the valve adjustment is get a good micrometer. The last time I did mine, some of the factory ones I swapped out weren't marked. It's nice to know what's coming out. Also just for s & g I mic'd the new Hot Cam shims going in. You would not believe how far off some were. 2.60's were 2.55 and 2.65. Some 2.40's were 2.35 and 2.30, and so on.

Old 04-16-2006, 06:21 PM

ORIGINAL: KevyzToy

One thing to do on the valve adjustment is get a good micrometer. The last time I did mine, some of the factory ones I swapped out weren't marked. It's nice to know what's coming out. Also just for s & g I mic'd the new Hot Cam shims going in. You would not believe how far off some were. 2.60's were 2.55 and 2.65. Some 2.40's were 2.35 and 2.30, and so on.

Ah, another KLX and ZRX owner here! My ZRX is a 2002 - green of course. They are the faster ones, don'cha think?

Good to see more folks that appreciate a wide range of abilities in their motorcycles.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

ORIGINAL: KevyzToy

Ah, another KLX and ZRX owner here! My ZRX is a 2002 - green of course. They are the faster ones, don'cha think?

Good to see more folks that appreciate a wide range of abilities in their motorcycles.

Just a ZRX. No KLX.

Quick Reply: How do I check the valves