How cold is too cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well since I only have 2 miles to work, I ride no matter how cold it gets. Last couple of years, its been as cold as 15, but I warm up pretty fast in my office with coffee in hand. But if I had a longer commute, lets say 5, 10, 15 or more miles, I would just simply dress warmer. I have a fieldsheer jacket, and I just last week zipped the liner back in, and it keeps 100% of the wind and cold out. I also have a pair of First Gear over the pant pants, I might start wearing them if it gets really cold or its raining harder than usual.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Man. . . . those Explorermoto videos are AWESOME! I wonder how much harder it is in the snow than a snow machine would be? I imagine body position and balance to be critical on the Explorermoto.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Just get a street helmet for cold weather.
That's what I am thinking- The goggles are a PITA with my glasses. I run a lot of errands on the bike and have to keep putting my helmet off and on. I really like that Shoei Hornet DS helmet. I think that will be my Christmas present to myself this year.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

its been around 35 when i leave for work (5:30am) and ive just been layering up but kahki pants and cold weather doesnt mix, im going to start dressing in my snowboard jacket and pants. i also just picked up MSR rain/snow gloves (i think they are called monarch pass) and im pretty damn dissapointed. my palm sweats while my fingers freeze, makes no sense. i think i will stick with my icon hooligan2 gloves and use the latex glove idea.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dngrrngr
my palm sweats while my fingers freeze, makes no sense.
sure it does.

Also, a comment on the latex thingy. All that does is like adding a dead layer of skin onto your skin if you will....the latex has no insulative properties whatsoever, and in fact may even rob you of heat. What it does do is stop the exposure of moving air to your skin, which is important. And also, as that top layer of dead skin with no fealing...keep you from getting frostbite, or prolong it I should say.

Actually, the best, although goofiest thing to do would be to stretch a pair OVER your existing gloves. It would keep the cold air out and allow the natural insulation of your gloves to work properly.

I grew up on a farm and I remember in the dead of winter when its like 15 degrees in January, we needed to use our hands alot and you couldn't wear your normal heavy gloves half of the time becuase you needed the nimble dexterity of your fingers. So what we did was this idea we're talking about now. Just put on the latex gloves. They didn't keep your hands warm, but when its 15 degrees or colder the cold actually doesn't feel cold anymore, it hurts. Your skin turns red and numb and stings at the same time. So when we took our gloves off real quick to do what we needed to do, it was countdown to how long it took our hands to freeze, then slip them back in our big gloves.

Just make sure you get ones that fit tight to your skin. Make sure they don't bag.
________
****TIBE

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I ride no problem in the 20s and 30s. Bikes in a garage so it usually starts right up. Just got the piece that fits into my HJC helmut over my mouth so the shield doesnt fog up. Now all I need it wind pants to keep the wind out of my jeans. Its actually not been too cold. I wear a fleece lined windbreaker which is warm even into the teens. For gloves I wear mechanics gloves unless it gets really cold, then I bust out my ski gloves. Kind of thick but do the trick.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

37 degrees is the low limit cutoff for me. I start work at 5am, so I'm usually cold on the way to work, even if it's going to be nice by quitting time. The last few years I have gotten the old KLR250 out and tied a sled to the back and pulled the kids around the yard. I'm sure I'll give it a try with the new bike.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default whats a little cold weather 'tween friends

Everyday this week I have ridden into work. Its a 2 mile run, but I double it by sidetracking over to Starbucks for a good cup of "hi-test" coffee. I did put the liners in my riding gear, but still only wearing the jacket, not the pants yet.
I agree with the latex gloves, and like JasonFMX said, for the best protection, wear them over your gloves. I have a pair of dishwashing latex gloves in the garage for real cold days. I pull them over my regular riding gloves, no problems, no cold fingers or anything.
I will keep going until its ready to snow. 20 degrees is ok with me, I have a great helmet and gear. Its all from snowmobiling all these years, when its -5 and your going out to play in the snow, ya gotta be prepared.
The biggest issue I see riding late in the year is people do not expect to see motorcycles on the road, so they tend to drive like real idiots around here when it gets cold.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member

QUOTE FROM WEDGE
"SWEETT!!!!
just put the knobbies on for the 24 hr starvation ridge race this weekend
its supose to get in to the low 30's and last year we saw some ice.

knobbies work in snow so I'm not stoppin"
I have never heard of the starvation ridge race. Is it in WA?

Last edited by Tinman; 10-23-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I do not own a car. I ride rain or shine. I have even been known to ride in snow/rain mix. Last year, I rode over 20K. My wife owns an 04 Yamaha FZ6. She rode over 18K for the year. Good gear is the key.

Quick Reply: How cold is too cold