How to adjust idle mix screw while carbs on the bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

$25 for the t-screw is a bit steep for me.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

KLXter's less-than-a-buck-at-Fastenal screw bit with rubber tubing is what I'll be using next time I get to actually fire up the bike.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Fixed the clutch cable buttt....

I dont know how people adjust idle with that screw when changing altitude, I cant for the life of me get the idle right. Its either dying or heating up my coolant so high its running the fan on the rads and also not idling right. I spent a good 2 hours at it already.

I think I'm just going to take it to a local shop and ask them to do it and also maybe do a full mechanical inspection while I'm there.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Ahh, for all you guys wanting to re-adjust the fuel screw "on-the-fly", I am wondering what you think you're accomplishing... The fuel screw controls the AFR you get from the pilot circuitry, which only fuels your bike at idle up to 1/8th throttle (just off idle) and during deceleration..

Old 02-25-2016, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Ahh, for all you guys wanting to re-adjust the fuel screw "on-the-fly", I am wondering what you think you're accomplishing... The fuel screw controls the AFR you get from the pilot circuitry, which only fuels your bike at idle up to 1/8th throttle (just off idle) and during deceleration..
haha yeah when I read posts about that I was wondering why they wanted to do it, maybe its just so theyre bike idles better at altitude? seems like a lot of work for that.

on another note, is there something I'm missing when adjusting the screw. because you have two things to play with. the idle speed and idle mixture screw. which do you play with first and what are you looking for out of each? If i change the idle speed screw I can hold rpm kind of... it will stick at 4000 or 3000 or 2000 and then slowly come down to 1000 then 900 then die.

Could it be that I dont have a large enough pilot jet? I wouldent think dynojetting a carb would lead to that problem though? its probably more for big bore?

Old 02-25-2016, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

It seems you have something very wrong that likely has nothing to do with idle screws or fuel screws.. On a standard pilot jet, the bike should idle well with 2.5 turns out.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

possibly a dirty carb? I guess I'll leave an update for whoever is interested when I figure it out, I think I am for sure taking it to a local shop and getting them to tell me whats wrong haha.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HypnoFrogs
possibly a dirty carb? I guess I'll leave an update for whoever is interested when I figure it out, I think I am for sure taking it to a local shop and getting them to tell me whats wrong haha.
or possible valve problem? I dont think the valve shims have ever been done and its on 22k KMs.

Looks like im riding the pedal bike tomorrow haha

Old 02-25-2016, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster

When I had the cvk, I'd adjust the pilot screw when I did a big elevation change, from 3,000 (where it's tuned) to 8,000+ feet. A lot of my trail riding, especially at elevation, is between 0 to 1/4 throttle. It accomplishes quite a bit with improved snap and better idle.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HypnoFrogs
or possible valve problem? I dont think the valve shims have ever been done and its on 22k KMs.

Looks like im riding the pedal bike tomorrow haha
I managed to get it to an idle of around 1100-1200, I also adjusted the speed screw so my bike drops rpms as fast as possible without dropping my idle rpm. it seems to be alrighhtttt now, If i rev hard from idle 1/10 times it will stall and clunk.

The problem I think is that the guy who had it before me put a dyno jet kit in even though I dont think that should affect idle?

maybe I need a bigger pilot? I have the screw out around 3 turns or maybe a bit more.

Heres a video of it idling and reving if anyone wants to watch lol

Last edited by HypnoFrogs; 02-25-2016 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: How to adjust idle mix screw while carbs on the bike