Honda crf250L.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Well, it's why they make so many bikes of varying species. The best thing about the Honda is the motor. Honda really compromised the chassis and suspension for any real dirt work without some serious commitment to upgrading the fork and shock...and dropping some poundage from the rest of the bike. So am I saying the motor in the KLX and WRR isn't a great motor?...of course not. And frankly the reason you can do a 351 on the KLX is because the motor is fairly overbuilt in critical areas with robust components.

I was a little disappointed in the lack of FI on the KLX, but that was only until I installed a Mikuni TM36 pumper. For the same or usually less than the cost of an FI programmer, the pumper adds amazing response to every bit of the powerband with no loss, and maybe even an increase, in fuel mileage. That was the last piece of satisfaction in my KLX puzzle. With a 300cc kit, totally upgraded Race Tech suspension, a pumper carb, and all the normal intake and exhaust mods, I have less money in my KLX than a WRR and much more off roadability than a stock WRR.

People are different and so are their needs and wants as far as motorcycles are concerned. The Honda is a nice bike for the price, and many riders won't miss the benefits inherent in the KLX or WRR. Many DS bikes already turn into the biggest garage queens in all motorcycle categories, and many are just used for basic transportation and runabouts, so lots of folks don't need DS bikes that are truly competent on and off road.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lotrat
Once you learn how to start the carbureted KLX, FI has less desirable drawbacks than the warmup time of a carb... IMO.
Well, my bike is still hard to start if I leave it untouched for more than two days, even if I enlarged the starter jet.

I'm about to install an inline primer pump, seriously.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

As far as carburetion vs. fuel injection goes, I'm not sure what the warm-up issue is with the KLX. I have been riding motorcycles for 40+ years and have never had any cold running issues with any of my machines (British, Japanese, American). This could be due to my riding preparation which has not changed. I look over the bike and make my safety checks, turn the petcock on, start it, get all my gear on, and ride (all temperatures) never had a problem.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Fi is good for no choke and good throttle response. Its a miscoception its the curefor col weather, my neighbors gsxr600 needs the same warm up my klx needs in sub 40 degree weather

Old 01-31-2013, 07:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm surprised Honda went with the super old-tech forks. Showa makes such a good suspension these days it seems the other makers chase around trying to keep up. So why not use the forks from an early 2000's CRF-R bike. Must be cheap as snot compared with newer technology but still a very serviceable suspension.

I'm a true 50/50 rider but I really wouldn't want to make a move backwards in the offroad department. And, the 300R is plenty comfy for me onroad as well. Not sure I need any of the attributes the CRF250L has to offer. And, it's hard to find a 250L for $1200. Not so hard for a 300R.

Plus, with the TM36 - a single squirt from the accelerator pump and the bike starts right up even in cold weather.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DustyCowboy
Well, my bike is still hard to start if I leave it untouched for more than two days, even if I enlarged the starter jet.

I'm about to install an inline primer pump, seriously.
Try holding front brake, pumping forks, while cranking... with choke on of course.

Have awful starting issues when I let my bike sit for any time more than a day as well, used to pump forks like an angry teenager, then turn bike over... with minimal results.

Problem was I wasn't pumping forks while I was turning it over...

I tried my new method on the bike after it had been sitting for over a month with a very weak battery in 20 degree weather... worked well.

Just a thought.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I purchased the Honda...gets delivered Monday hopefully..I will compare its stock power vs my klx's rejet/ fmf slip on...

Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up This

Originally Posted by LikesToThump
Try holding front brake, pumping forks, while cranking... with choke on of course.

Have awful starting issues when I let my bike sit for any time more than a day as well, used to pump forks like an angry teenager, then turn bike over... with minimal results.

Problem was I wasn't pumping forks while I was turning it over...

I tried my new method on the bike after it had been sitting for over a month with a very weak battery in 20 degree weather... worked well.

Just a thought.
More than a thought! It works! The first time it was time to put the bike away for winter it had been sitting for a couple of weeks already (insurance expired). I wanted to warm it up to dump the oil before sticking the bike in the basement. No start. Kawi dealership mechanic happened to be walking by, so he stopped in and that was what he told me: pump the fork while cranking with the choke on. Vroom vroom right away.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

sf can get cold in the mornings, but i've never had any real cold start issues....the only time i had starting issues, it turned out i needed a valve adjustment (if it seems difficult to cold start or needs to have choke out for long time to warm, might be time for valve check/adjustment)...after the valve adjustment, it starts instantly...the second i push the starter button...better than when i first got it...

another habit is fuel off near the last mile before i park the bike...not sure if this helps, but i do this all the time every single day...

Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
sf can get cold in the mornings, but i've never had any real cold start issues....the only time i had starting issues, it turned out i needed a valve adjustment (if it seems difficult to cold start or needs to have choke out for long time to warm, might be time for valve check/adjustment)...after the valve adjustment, it starts instantly...the second i push the starter button...better than when i first got it...

another habit is fuel off near the last mile before i park the bike...not sure if this helps, but i do this all the time every single day...
I never had issues either when my bike was a daily driver, even when I let it sit for a few days at a time... just seemed to really become an issue when I was working at my new job this year and only got to ride the bike about 1-2 times a week or less.

Quick Reply: Honda crf250L.....