Honda crf250L.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I guess its human nature to want what the other guy have. FI is good but I have read some guys with FI bikes wish they have the carb instead. To each his own lol. Me personally, before I wish my klx has FI but after it has been rejetted and it runs no problems from 3t to around 10t feet elevation with no problems, I'm happy with what I have. Less expensive to get more power. Easier to fix on the trail .

Old 07-26-2012, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buerkletucson
To a bike that actually runs out of the box and doesn't require choke enrichment drilling, re jetting, opening the air-box, after-market exhaust, etc........Just to make it idle and run properly and doesn't stumble all over itself.
The Honda is considerably cheaper considering what you need to add to the Kawasaki just to make it do what it should do from the start....start and run without stumbling all over the place.
Guess i got lucky then, my KLX ran fine in factory trim with the exception of a little bit of lean surge at about 1/8 throttle. Popping the cap off the mixture screw and that was fixed in about 30 seconds.

Your essentially stuck with the stock pipe as well on the honda, unless you want to pony up the 3 bills or more for a power commander, which turns a $500 exhaust into a $800+ exhaust.

Yea, I'll take the FI any day of the week.
I can fire up my Goldwing and fly down the road instantly without one single hesitation or grumble.............ride the highest mountains or the lowest valleys without any performance degradation or MPG changes.
well to be fair your goldwing has an engine that is the same size as the one in my car and probably has equally sophisticated electronics and fuel injection. I've ridden alot of FI sportbikes and all of them have ran like poo until they get warmed up a bit, just like my carb'ed Ninja.

I'm not hating on FI, i just haven't seen firsthand what all the fuss is about. My carbs work, FI works, but niether seem to work better than one or the other that i have seen. One is much more complicated and expensive to work on though.

btw - Mr. Disney was a genius........I could only wish he was around to design a bike.

Yeah such a genius that his company that made billions off of works that were in the public domain and then his greedy company got the copyright protection extended for like another 140 years so none of THEIR work would lapse into the public domain. Guess i should just have beef with the company rather than the man though.

I'm not trying to start a fight or get any bad blood going on around here, i'm just stating my (slighty strong ) opinion based on my own experiences.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
Yeah such a genius that his company that made billions off of works that were in the public domain and then his greedy company got the copyright protection extended for like another 140 years so none of THEIR work would lapse into the public domain. Guess i should just have beef with the company rather than the man though.
Disney also blatantly and shamelessly ripped off the Japanese manga/anime Kimba the White Lion and turned it into the Lion King. Then when confronted, the Disney executives had the audacity to not only deny the influence but to actually claim that they have never heard of Kimba the White Lion. Osamu Tezuka the creator of Kimba was no longer alive and the Disney banked on the fact that Japan is not a litigious society and that Tezuka's widow would not sue.

I fully concur that Disney the company is utterly di****able. As for Disney the man, I wonder what he would have thought...

Old 07-26-2012, 01:30 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

On the motorcycle FI, aren't most of them, and especially dirt bikes, a throttle body FI instead of direct injection like most cars? I think all of the TB models would operate much better with a direct injector. Throttle body works pretty darned well, but there's a reason most all cars have gone to DI.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
On the motorcycle FI, aren't most of them, and especially dirt bikes, a throttle body FI instead of direct injection like most cars? I think all of the TB models would operate much better with a direct injector. Throttle body works pretty darned well, but there's a reason most all cars have gone to DI.
Correct, even the high end "cutting edge" sportbikes still use TBI. Which is ok, but really only acts like a "electric carb" without the benefits of direct port injection.

Also most FI bikes operate on a speed density type of management system which is VERY limited in fuel adjustment other than in a very narrow set of operational parameters, fine if you keep the bike all stock but new exhaust or intake mods can seriously affect fueling.

I do wonder about the goldwing though, i wouldn't be at all surprised to see a full on direct injection setup on those, its not like they don't have the room... lol

Old 07-26-2012, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Most cars have port fuel injection, direct injection is a whole other animal that is starting to become more prevalent. It allows higher compression ratios while retaining lower combustion temperatures and lower emissions. A bike with direct injection would be pretty bad ***, it would be loud though because the injectors tend to rattle.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:58 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 795.0pacecar
Most cars have port fuel injection, direct injection is a whole other animal that is starting to become more prevalent. It allows higher compression ratios while retaining lower combustion temperatures and lower emissions. A bike with direct injection would be pretty bad ***, it would be loud though because the injectors tend to rattle.
Yes, that's correct on the injection. I used "direct" as kind of a generic term when it really isn't. Yeah, I see a fair amount of difficulty in making a mass produced DI fuel system for a single cylinder dirt/DS bike. Port injection would be more than adequate for the foreseeable future. I guess the good thing about the existing throttle bodies on most of the motorcycles is that each cylinder usually gets its own TB. In cases where one TB has to serve multiple cylinders through an intake manifold, efficiency and advantage becomes less obvious. My old '89 full size GMC Jimmy 383 came with a 2-injector TB. I swapped an Edelbrock multiport unit on it, and it made a ton of difference.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buerkletucson
Don't get me wrong......I love my KLX but Kawasaki should be shot for sending this bike out to the general public this way.

In all fairness, Kawi would not have let it out the door that way if it weren't for the EPA.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
well to be fair your goldwing has an engine that is the same size as the one in my car and probably has equally sophisticated electronics and fuel injection.
.....and the Wing has more cylinders.

No bad blood........we're all opinionated to some extent.
Just don't dis good 'ole Walt.

I'm sure he'd turn over in his grave if he knew some of the modern Walt Disney corporate tactics.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
In all fairness, Kawi would not have let it out the door that way if it weren't for the EPA.

I disagree..........a lot of other manufacturers/models have the same EPA guidelines and their bikes don't suffer from the same ride-ability issues.

Quick Reply: Honda crf250L.....