Honda crf250L.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pine Barrens
As far as carburetion vs. fuel injection goes, I'm not sure what the warm-up issue is with the KLX. I have been riding motorcycles for 40+ years and have never had any cold running issues with any of my machines (British, Japanese, American). This could be due to my riding preparation which has not changed. I look over the bike and make my safety checks, turn the petcock on, start it, get all my gear on, and ride (all temperatures) never had a problem.
Well....I'm sure it IS the KLX.
I've been riding for 45 years <15+ different bikes> and have never had a starting issue or cold ride-off issue until I got the 2009 KLX250S.

Kawasaki ought to be ashamed of themselves IMHO. You shouldn't need to put a bunch of money/time into a bike just to make it start, idle or run.

If the Honda CRF250L was available when I got my Kawasaki it would of been a very easy decision for me.

Last edited by buerkletucson; 02-01-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Fi is good for no choke and good throttle response. Its a miscoception its the curefor col weather...
Disagree here....
I can fire up a EFI bike in 10 degree weather and ride off immediately with zero hesitation.

I can't ride my KLX off for 5-7 minutes in 80 degree temps!

Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member

My bike will always start with choke, and after warmed up without choke. BUT here's the kicker, I can't just push the start, I have to crack the throttle plate open otherwise it will just spit and sputter...weird huh?

Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buerkletucson
Disagree here....
I can fire up a EFI bike in 10 degree weather and ride off immediately with zero hesitation.

I can't ride my KLX off for 5-7 minutes in 80 degree temps!
Really? I turn on my choke in 30 degree weather for about 1 minute then turn off the choke and go, no problems

Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

first ride on my bone stock crf250L...22 degrees outside.started up immediately..Im comparing it to my 2012 klx250s (fmf powercore 4, rejet, k &n air filter.) The Honda had the same acceleration stock. call me crazy..but the honda felt lighter? (I know it isnt). Cant wait to add fuel programmer, full fmf exhaust...may skip the 13T sprocket all together..only complaint is the rear break is basically non existant.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Subasaki
first ride on my bone stock crf250L...22 degrees outside.started up immediately..Im comparing it to my 2012 klx250s (fmf powercore 4, rejet, k &n air filter.) The Honda had the same acceleration stock. call me crazy..but the honda felt lighter? (I know it isnt). Cant wait to add fuel programmer, full fmf exhaust...may skip the 13T sprocket all together..only complaint is the rear break is basically non existant.
The rear brake will get better with usage; that's a common complaint about the CRF250L. If you aggressively bed the brake pads, they will perform better more more quickly. Apparently, Honda installed very hard brake pads on the rear caliper.

Spud

Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Say what you will about Kawasaki releasing a bike that won't start or idle in the cold, but this I know for sure. Back in 2010 my brand new 2009 Honda CRF450x wouldn't start, idle or run worth a s#@t until I put a JD jetting kit in it. So apparently Honda releases bikes that need some work out of the box too. I've never had a bike that ran so poorly off the showroom floor as that Honda. It was so bad I thought it was a lemon. Once I rejetted it is fine. My KLX ran a hell of a lot better out of the box. Let's see the KLX is approximately 20 lbs lighter, has adjustable compression damping front and rear, more travel, more ground clearence, and turns on a dime yet is fairly stable at speed. There is a ton of aftermarket stuff and it can be made into a 300,331,340, or 351 cc bike easily. And as far as FI is involved I can easily repair that Kehin carburator myself. I think the crf250l is overrated.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

for my 2009 klx250sf...when near new, it required choke out to start...sometimes a little twist of the throttle and push start...cold starts got worse and worse...thought it was the battery and i even replaced the battery to a lithium-iron shorai...the cold starts eventually got so bad that i was giving near full throttle just to start it....

anyways, one valve adjustment solved it all....starts instantly with the push of the button..no throttle...i usually push the choke right back in within seconds....no problems in 30s farenheit...it just needed a valve adjustment and starting became a breeze...not sure what the exact valve clearance factory specs are, but i adjusted my valve clearance gap for the exhaust to be closer to 0.15mm and inlet closer to 0.10mm....

Old 02-05-2013, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
for my 2009 klx250sf...when near new, it required choke out to start...sometimes a little twist of the throttle and push start...cold starts got worse and worse...thought it was the battery and i even replaced the battery to a lithium-iron shorai...the cold starts eventually got so bad that i was giving near full throttle just to start it....

anyways, one valve adjustment solved it all....starts instantly with the push of the button..no throttle...i usually push the choke right back in within seconds....no problems in 30s farenheit...it just needed a valve adjustment and starting became a breeze...not sure what the exact valve clearance factory specs are, but i adjusted my valve clearance gap for the exhaust to be closer to 0.15mm and inlet closer to 0.10mm....
I thought we're not supposed to twist the throttle when starting our bikes unless you have the pumper carb . I just pull the choke and press start works all the time . Mine is harder to start if I twist the throttle

Old 02-05-2013, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Subasaki
Congrats on your new ride . Enjoy

Quick Reply: Honda crf250L.....