HMF Slip On Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HMF Slip On Exhaust

Yep I have to say that I like the looks of all the aftermarket pipes.. To me the stock one wasnt bad either, However when I rode with my daughter and her little 50cc dirt bike was louder then mine was a bet depressing. So I had to make a change and the Muzzy is what I liked the best. Of course if they had the Big Gun in Kawi Green color I think that might have been a good choice as well. I'm just saying all the pipes look really good, and im sure eveyone is happy with what they have. So goodOnYa!!!

My little loud stick!!!
Name:  GarysKawasaki060406007.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  77.8 KB

Old 09-14-2006, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member

OK, I'll check out the four stroke works info. The head pipe is stainless, Just put a magnet on it. Stainless is not-ferros so i'ts non-magnetic.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

ORIGINAL: DJFields

Guys: Not to start another Pipe War here but in reading the last Big-Gun post, I just want to let all who may be interested that the gents from HMF were excellent to work with! I've heard and read too many issues with Big-Gun and Muzzy.
Also it appears by the flange measurement, that the ID's between baoth pipes are the same. So I'll stay with the very nice stainless steel head pipe that is stock.
I hate to tell you this, but the "ID"s, by which I think you mean interior diameter, of the headpipe? They are not the same, not even close. The header pipe is the whole reason to change out the exhaust. The oem one is so small it can hardly breathe. I won't go all into it but the "nice stainless steel stock headpipe" is crap and needs replaced. If you want proof, check out www.fourstrokeworks.com and see what they have to say. They make a great header pipe for $140 that would complement your slip-on, which I absolutely do not believe makes 3 horses alone. Just fyi. But at least your bike sounds better now. Also, I do not think the oem header is stainless steel. I've seen them rust on 300's, plus that would be so expensive to put on bikes. I'm not 100% on this though.

Actually I think its Inside Diameter not interior diameter

Old 09-14-2006, 06:49 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

same thing deej, but technically its inside diameter.
ORIGINAL: deej

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

ORIGINAL: DJFields

Guys: Not to start another Pipe War here but in reading the last Big-Gun post, I just want to let all who may be interested that the gents from HMF were excellent to work with! I've heard and read too many issues with Big-Gun and Muzzy.
Also it appears by the flange measurement, that the ID's between baoth pipes are the same. So I'll stay with the very nice stainless steel head pipe that is stock.
I hate to tell you this, but the "ID"s, by which I think you mean interior diameter, of the headpipe? They are not the same, not even close. The header pipe is the whole reason to change out the exhaust. The oem one is so small it can hardly breathe. I won't go all into it but the "nice stainless steel stock headpipe" is crap and needs replaced. If you want proof, check out www.fourstrokeworks.com and see what they have to say. They make a great header pipe for $140 that would complement your slip-on, which I absolutely do not believe makes 3 horses alone. Just fyi. But at least your bike sounds better now. Also, I do not think the oem header is stainless steel. I've seen them rust on 300's, plus that would be so expensive to put on bikes. I'm not 100% on this though.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:53 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Must be a cleaning thing, like interior designer.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:55 AM

On the size of the header pipe ive tried a few different headers on a super trap exhaust and found that the stock pipe has the best torque by far,the larger the inside diameter the more the more hp you make. better top speed but less low end

Old 09-15-2006, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Richt, could ya expand on your theories and experiences regarding header pipe diameter and Hp/torque curve relationships.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:02 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I've often wondered this as well so I'd be interested also. I always thought the pipes were tuned toward cylinder size / rpm range for the right amount of back pressure reflecting back from the pipe into the exhaust ports. It makes perfect sense to me that a pipe could be tuned to optimize different areas of engine performance, and that you can't tune it for all ranges, i.e., low end and high end at the same time, at least not with a fixed pipe. Obviously larger header pipe is not always the best - consider the extreme case of large header pipe is simply removing the headpipe all together which results in extremely poor performance. Tiny is not good either, for obvious reasons. So I don't think one can say that since this or that header pipe is larger, it is automatically better.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:45 AM

dont really know much about motors or exhausts im an electrician, me and my brothers all have klx 250s so we did alot of experimenting with gearing and exhausts. WE found that with the stock header the the throttle had more response from 0 to 6000 and the big gun header was best from 6000 to 10000. I found that i had best perfomance with stock exhaust and 49 tooth gearing.my brother stayed with the big gun and 47 tooth gearing.i can still beat him by two bikes 0 to 60.After that he smokes me.

Quick Reply: HMF Slip On Exhaust