HMF Slip On Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default HMF Slip On Exhaust

Hello All: The one component of the KLX250s I always disliked was the muffler, both sound and looks. Yes I did the original drilling of the baffle and then modified with a larger outlet. Still not satisfied, I recently installed the HMF Slip-On exhaust. This is a high quality component from a very good manufacturer. the only draw back was the wait time to get the pipe. As they "build to order" it took about 4 weeks, but they made it up in the price and shipping. All said and done it came to 239 w/quiet insert, shipping and a tee shirt. I have all the other modifications complete and jetted to the same specs as HMF tested to as well. I struglled with the full systems as I did not want to replace the head pipe As I feel it is sized correctly. ( this goes back to a paper I wrote in school around the effects of heaeder I.D. and length realtive to HP/TQ - If you make the header to large you will loose some TQ in the lower RPM band )
Installation and fit is perfect! Plus HMF is the only one to post actual dyno results.
That all being said, I'm really satisfied with the pipes performance, sound, and looks.
( This post is intended to share information and hopefully not start another big arguement and what is better, Muzzy or Big Gun.)
See Pictures below.
Thanks
Don

[IMG]local://upfiles/1026/886E061392AC47A3A891A18A5488A9E4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-31-2006, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HMF Slip On Exhaust

whoaaa.. up until now i was under the assumption that a slipon wasnt available for our bikes?!! how was the fit? cost? part number?
also how loud is it with the quiet core? obnoxious or tolerable?

Old 08-31-2006, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

#2 pic

Old 08-31-2006, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

#3 pic

Old 08-31-2006, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member

hows the bike performing now with the slipon compared to when ya just had the baffles drilled out etc?

Old 08-31-2006, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Please see original post.
1) The fit was VERY good, no issues at all and the passenger pegs stays in place.
2) the sound w/ quiet core is very nice. Throaty, yet mellow. Even my wife says it's not too loaud at all. I didn't trust her so I have a buddy ride it and she was right ( as always! )
3) The cost was $239.00
4) the performance when compared to the stock muffler is AWSOME !!! Revs much qicker and a noticeable increase in power.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:11 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

nice lookin pipe man. I was too impatient to wait 4 weeks... hehe

Old 08-31-2006, 05:36 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

That looks great, Don - I really like the looks of that pipe and I figure any place that actually takes the time to share Dyno results from their work and document the jetting procedure like they did gets a big thumbs up from me. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 08-31-2006, 05:57 PM

Don,

I've been following this exhaust system development for a long time. I was going to order one, but they are not taking orders for at least another week.

Did you get to be a tester for them?

I can see there is going to be one and only one solution to the question of "what's the best exhaust for the KLX"? That will be a run off of all the bikes with lots of report info. Or one bike, a dragstip and lots of exhaust systems being tested.

However, for the price of $219 - for HMF Forum members - it looks like a great deal.

I do understand your comments about head pipe size.

My bike runs extremely good in the 6000 to 7000 rpm range. After looking at the dyno charts, I see why! It's a torque monster in that area! I do believe that is why it's such a great little trail bike!

Old 08-31-2006, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Pretty Nice. Is the end cap bolted on or riveted on. Also how does the muffler connect to the header pipe, with just a clamp. what jets did you use and are you running a open airbox or one with the KDX200 snorkel. The HMF is still a possible for me and I would be interested in hearing more. Thanks....

LV

Quick Reply: HMF Slip On Exhaust