HMF pulling apart?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 01:12 AM
Default RE: HMF pulling apart?

Fireroad, is there any update? Did you call HMF? I took a good look at mine today and there is no sign of it cumming loose or even leaking exhaust gases. It looks like a defect to me. I hope they take care of the problem!

Old 08-15-2007, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll be surprised if HMF does anything. All you need to do is go to their forum site and they usually respond to anyone's product problems with - "we can't or it won't work". My friend was able to make a "quieter" Quiet Core insert pipe despite HMF saying it wouldn't work. Myself and others have complained about the slip-on mounting problem on their forum site, their response is - "will look into it" and we never have heard back from them. They must be making way too much money to concern themselves about customer service and product quality.
HMF[sm=shootshoot.gif]

"Almost everyone is born a genius and buried an idiot." - C. Bukowski

Old 08-15-2007, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

I'll be surprised if HMF does anything. All you need to do is go to their forum site and they usually respond to anyone's product problems with - "we can't or it won't work". My friend was able to make a "quieter" Quiet Core insert pipe despite HMF saying it wouldn't work. Myself and others have complained about the slip-on mounting problem on their forum site, their response is - "will look into it" and we never have heard back from them. They must be making way too much money to concern themselves about customer service and product quality.

I actually made a post in your thread about the mounting issues. It was right after the one where the admin said we just got a KLX in house and will look into it. I made a fairly positive post and I got a notice saying that all posts are first checked for approval by the admin before it is posted. My post never showed up on the thread.

What's the purpose of amanufacturer having a forum if they don't let people post and they don't even keep up with the forum? [&:]

Old 08-15-2007, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

FM, Exactly!

HMF[sm=shootshoot.gif]

Old 08-15-2007, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I did talk to HMF yesterday. The explaination I got is that the muffler is not coming apart...that area of the muffler is a high pressure area that will always leak some as it's very difficult to to make a metal on metal seal.The tech was very knowledgable and suggested using permatex black silicon (a technique he used while working for harley) to seal up that end of the can. He stated the only way to get a completely leak free can was to seal it up when they put it together (hmm, why don't they do that in the first place). If that isn't to my satisfaction then we can talk about the next step.

When I got off the phone I felt pretty good that it was no big deal...but it sounds like mine is the only one that is doing this. I'm moving this week so I will take the exhaust off next week and see if there is any play in that joint. If there is it's going back.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

That's not a leak! It's a clear separation of two metal components. A sealer is used to seal two metal pieces that to the eye look like it is fit perfectly but just enough microscopic gap for gasses to escape. Yours is clearly a separation, a sealer is not meant to hold two pieces of metal together that is separating.

Your muffler is clearly coming apart. That is a bunch on baloney they are giving you IMO.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Now I know why you were stating thatyour HMF even with the quiet core was too loud. It makes all the sense now.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry this update took so long. Believing this to be more than a leak, I emailed Tony in the warranty department at HMF. My first two emails got kicked back that the inbox quota was exceeded so I shrunk the pics down bigtime and sent it again. And waited. And waited. On the third day I called and talked to Tony. Apparently their building got hit by lighting and fried their email server. Eventually the email came through and he looked at the pics and said "Yup, that's definatley under warranty. Send it in and we'll fix or replace it, which ever is easier". That's the response I was hoping for...the UPS call tag should be here today. I'll update you as to what happens (may take a while, I'm getting married next weekend)[sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 08-23-2007, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Fireroad, good to know that HMF is finally pulling through for you. And congrats on getting married - I hope your "pipe" will work better than the HMF on your honeymoon without any premature "leaking"!

Old 08-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the wedding. Its a good thing you bought the bike before.

Quick Reply: HMF pulling apart?