Hitch Mounted Carriers

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought a used UltimateMXHauler for $150. which seems to be the going rate for used ones based upon searching Craigslist around the country. None were listed locally but I advertised that I wanted one and in a few days got an email from a guy switching to a trailer.

I had previously tried a ramp type carrier but I'm old and weak and didn't like the feeling I had when loading or unloading the bike on it. The MX Hauler has worked fine, although I had to get a drop receiver for it so I didn't have to lift the bike any to load it. The bike does rock some when on rough roads or entering a driveway, etc., but after a while you feel secure in just ignoring it.

I use the carrier on a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee which is a little higher in back than your average car. I just drove from Washington to Arizona towing the Jeep behind my motorhome with the KLX on the back of the Jeep. No problems.

Norm

Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I can haul 3 bikes in my truck, but if I was going to buy a bike hauler for the hitch, it would be this one. Hands down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Ceh...layer_embedded

http://www.discountramps.com/add-a-bike-hauler.htm

Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rlj
When you say use the motor to load, are you walking it up the ramp in first or riding it up?
Walking it up, feathering the clutch. I've only had to do this once, when I couldn't get any momentum up and it was too icy to have much foot grip. My car isn't super high in the rear, but it is slightly lifted and has larger tires.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I also have a JK and am running 285/75R16's with a 3 inch Tereflex suspension. I also am interested in carrier like these. After looking at the models that have been presented the biggest issue as you noted is the spare tire. Either route you choose it will have to either be left behind, put in the back or on a roof rack. I like the Ultimate MX Hauler as it can be loaded low. It is still too high for our suspensions though, as it only drops 4" below the receiver. I think the best bet for a lifted vehicle is still a toy hauler. If I had the space to keep one I would go that route. But for now I will be bikeless in the desert and keep my KLX in Thailand.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:54 AM
rlj
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
I can haul 3 bikes in my truck, but if I was going to buy a bike hauler for the hitch, it would be this one. Hands down.

Thanks for the link deej......they even make one for vehicles with the spare tire on the rear. I'm going to check it out more thoroughly tomorrow.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:01 AM
rlj
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pseacraft
I also have a JK and am running 285/75R16's with a 3 inch Tereflex suspension. I also am interested in carrier like these. After looking at the models that have been presented the biggest issue as you noted is the spare tire. Either route you choose it will have to either be left behind, put in the back or on a roof rack. I like the Ultimate MX Hauler as it can be loaded low. It is still too high for our suspensions though, as it only drops 4" below the receiver. I think the best bet for a lifted vehicle is still a toy hauler. If I had the space to keep one I would go that route. But for now I will be bikeless in the desert and keep my KLX in Thailand.
I spoke with Howard from MX Hauler yesterday and they do sell "drop adapter extenders" for lifted vehicles with rear tires. Their website has pictures of the adapters. My concern is adding an adapter may possibly sacrifice some strength integrity of the hauler, but what do I know.....I'm no engineer. Throw a pic up of the JK, would love to see it. Ever get on Jeep Forum?

Old 01-15-2010, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't want it dropped too low, or you'll scape it transitioning up a steep grade like a driveway. Mines on a 1/2 ton 4x4 ford and have drug it in the dirt before.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I would have loved one of these, but even with a Class 3 hitch the vertical weight limit on the hitch would have been pushing it. I have a 06 Honda CRV. I would have loved the idea of rolling my bike on back, I just think I would have been pushing it.

I went with a folding trailer from Redtrailers.com, it gets me to Tahuya!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej

Oh, I see Deej was paying attention 3 years ago when I posted about this carrier and put one on my suv

Add a bike is the BEST....plus it is locally made here is S. Florida by an bud of mine. Three years of use and no issues except that I recommend putting a small rag between your bike and the seat hold down bar to prevent alum oxidation making lil temp marks on your seat.

Almost everyone I know has bought one after seeing it in use ... no tie down straps and I drive fast over bumps.

lil pricey but worth every penny.