Highway Dirt Bike hand guard install HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 01:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Project is at a halt at this point. I found another person that has mounted the HDB kit on a 2018. The 2018 speedo fairing is indeed shaped differently than the earlier models, just enough to be in the way. The other person has a ProTaper CR-Mid fat bar, I’m using the Carmichael model. The Carmichael model has a shorter fat clamping section and it’s flatter with less sweep. From what we could tell, comparing photos, this difference in bars is what is causing me issues.

I am waiting for a response back from HDB before proceeding. My main concern is the location/clamping force of those inner bar clamps, they are located right at a bend and taper on the bar.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Another view of the clearance of the "bikini" with the Tusk mounted to Pro Taper CR Mid Bend on my 2021 KLX 300. Some universal fit combinations (bars and hand guards) don"t work as well as others. As seems to be the case with yours.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

When I lowered my bike and installed low clip on bars, the side tabs on the plastic cowl interfered with the cables so I cut them off.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I could see removing just a little bit of the cowl plastic as well, it would not take much to have clearance, perhaps 1/2", nobody would probably notice unless I said something. That would be the last thing I do though, need to make sure this is going to work first.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I made the cut follow the profile so it looks like it came that way from the factory. This way all of the cables and wires are relaxed in their natural positions.

Low narrow bars are perfect for highway riding. Your arms are tucked in for less wind resistance I don't do any dirt so there's no need for wide high bars or to stand up on the pegs..

Last edited by tooter; 04-21-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

That turned out great tooter! What did you use to cut it?

Old 04-21-2021, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

At the risk of repeating myself... get the brake line up over the top of the guard and down through it or off to the front where the line can move freely as the forks work before you ride. That thing is virtually pinched under the guard mount and when the forks compress they will try to push the line straight up from there - with no way for it to mover as needed.

That kink there is totally unacceptable. It is forcing the line in to a 90° bend and when the forks compress it will try to push straight up from there, it isn't going to work. I have guards on both my 650 and my 250 KLX and can tell you that line needs room to move upward.

Last edited by klx678; 04-21-2021 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, already mentioned I am replacing and re-routing. Right now all I'm concerned with is the handguard fitment.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
That turned out great tooter! What did you use to cut it?
I used tin snips for the initial cut..

...then I shaped them on a bench grinder, and finished them off with some fine sandpaper to remove the plastic "crumbs".

Old 04-22-2021, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I took another look at my HDB install, and I realized that I actually shortened mine. I cut off the area with the slot, and drilled a second hole to shorten the whole rigamarole. I have carmichael bars, that are cut a little shorter themselves as well

Quick Reply: Highway Dirt Bike hand guard install HELP!