High Altitude Jetting

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 06:58 AM
Default High Altitude Jetting

This is my first post. I have been lurking and learning (thanks everyone)about mods for a few months now.Recently, I added a K&N filter, KDX snorkel, andhave plans to install anHMF (slip-on)orMuzzyexhaust.I want to install an N1TC needle jet and #125 main jet once I add the new exhaust. Since I live in Cheyenne, Wyoming (6,500 feet) and will be riding between 6,500 feet and 10,000 feet, will a #125 main jet be too rich? Also, any suggestions where I should start with the clip location on the N1TC needle jet andthe setting for the fuel screw? Thanks

Old 01-27-2007, 07:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: High Altitude Jetting

Get the kit, it will answer you questions. After looking at mine, you will need a #124 main jet, 2 1/2 turns out on the screw, and the clip at groove #4 from the top. Also, as far as I understand, you should not be messing with you airbox/filter/snorkel until you have jetted your bike. There are different stages of messing with your air intake and when you mess with it before you jet the carb, it results in the same as adding an exhaust without jetting. Anyway, it is easy to do once you get the kit (took 20 min). If I am wrong in my thinking someone please correct me.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know about high altitude jetting, I'm still trying to dial in my jetting at sea level but HMF has all the Info. on there web site at www.hmfengineering.comI hope this helps. I just installed - HMF slip-on, #128 main jet, from#125,#40 pilot jet, 2.5 turns on fuel screw,drilled 7/64 slide,air box open and now trying to fine tune it all together. I hope the #128 main jetfix's my top end bog.Good luck.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I live at sea level to, I had installed a #132 main jet and used stock pilot and the carb seems perfect. I also have the 7/64 slide drilled, 2.5 turns, but I had only removed my snorkel not the lid. Power is constant through all gears. Then again you have a HMF.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcometo the forum.And don't forget to have fun.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep; thats what it's all about!

Old 01-27-2007, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drewski

I don't know about high altitude jetting, I'm still trying to dial in my jetting at sea level but HMF has all the Info. on there web site at www.hmfengineering.comI hope this helps. I just installed - HMF slip-on, #128 main jet, from#125,#40 pilot jet, 2.5 turns on fuel screw,drilled 7/64 slide,air box open and now trying to fine tune it all together. I hope the #128 main jetfix's my top end bog.Good luck.
By"air box open" do you mean removing the snorkleor completely removing the lid? If the lid is removed, yes, you will need at least a 128. HMF's directions are based upon just pulling the snorkle out.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Gmilbu,

I live at 5200 ft, ride to 11000. Currently using a 122 main, N1TC needle clipped 2nd from the top. Mixture screw is 1 turn out. Get the Kouba extended mixture screw. I'm using the KDX snorkle with the lid on, K&N Filter, and Big Gun exhaust. Tried the 125 main, tried the needle in the 3rd slot, tried the mixture screw 2 1/2 turns out; used a lot of fuel, with disappointing results.Current setup is working the best for me.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

FYI, I live at 7800 ft and usually (well really always) gain in elevation from there. Up to 11500 ft. Iam running with the smog stuff gone, crankcase breather drilled to 3/8 or 1/2 (can't remember), Dual snorkal set-up, Uni Filter, after market exhaust (won't mention the name for fear of some a$$h%&* picking up on it and trashing this thread). Carb settings are: Slide drilled 7/64ths, 118 Main, 135 Pilot, N1TC needle set at 2nd slot from the top, Mixture screw 11/2 turns out. POW...What a difference.

Hope it helps and have a great ride.
Godspeed everyone.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Good info. Looks like the stock main jet works really good at that altitude. Is that a typo on the pilot size? I definitely understand going to dual snorkel. I'd be going for all the air I can get. I'd probably just remove the whole lid, because I don't mind the induction noise, but others prefer to keep it toned down a bit.

That's some very useful information. Thanks.

ORIGINAL: mmatz

FYI, I live at 7800 ft and usually (well really always) gain in elevation from there. Up to 11500 ft. Iam running with the smog stuff gone, crankcase breather drilled to 3/8 or 1/2 (can't remember), Dual snorkal set-up, Uni Filter, after market exhaust (won't mention the name for fear of some a$$h%&* picking up on it and trashing this thread). Carb settings are: Slide drilled 7/64ths, 118 Main, 135 Pilot, N1TC needle set at 2nd slot from the top, Mixture screw 11/2 turns out. POW...What a difference.

Hope it helps and have a great ride.
Godspeed everyone.

Quick Reply: High Altitude Jetting