Hey guys, could you please help me, battery clicks when trying to start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Hey guys, could you please help me, battery clicks when trying to start?

Sorry if this is a repost and there is already a similar thread that addresses this. Deej or one of hte moderators can delete once I get a little help ... Anyway, like an idiot, I left my bike sitting in the cold winter months for 2-3 months without cranking it up a few times a week. So on this beautiful day, I tried to jump start it up and ride... However, when I try to start it, it just makes a clicking noise... The lights are working and turn signals so I know the battery is charged... I remember one time when I left it cold before, my mechanic neighbor hooked up the same little battery starter that I have here, and he just fired it right up somehow... I hooked it up to my battery, set it to "deep cycle maintenance free", 75 amps for start up, and still nothing... then I tried to "low maintenance conventional setting", and again, just clicking...

I don't think anything is seriously wrong, cause like i said, it made this clicking noise before when I didn't start her up for a while, and that dude that knows a lot about bikes like some of ya'll, just hooked it up to the generator/starter joint, and fired it right up!

You guys know I really appreciate you taking your time to help me out... pardon my ignorance if it is something I could have figured out on my own

Old 03-07-2010, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

low battery voltage and/or poor battery-to-ground connection.

If you can hook another "good" battery up and start the bike it's the battery, if not check the ground connection.

If your battery doesn't recover after being on a charger for 1/2 day, time to look at replacing it.

"Lights & Turn Signals" don't draw much current compared to the starter motor, so can't totally judge battery condition by that.

clicky-clicky noise are almost always caused by a battery problem.

Last edited by LongmontKLXr; 03-07-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

hey bro... thanks... when i hook up the battery to the charger it says it is "100" percent charged if im reading it right... im not sure, though... it is just lik one of those portable starters... it goes up to 75 volts.... so you said to leave it on the charger for a while? it said something about not letting it charge for too long.... but thanks bro, ima trouble shoot some... more help needed possibly!

Old 03-07-2010, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

If your battery is bad (not just dead) it can be very difficult to jump-start the bike.
Try charging the battery, if it won't take (or hold) a charge than it needs replaced, leaving a battery low on a charge out in the cold is very hard on them.
Most auto parts stores will load test the battery for you for free, just to be sure before you drop $50 or more on a new one.

I recommend fully charging, removing and storing the battery inside if the bike will not be ridden over a cold winter.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZX1100F1
If your battery is bad (not just dead) it can be very difficult to jump-start the bike. Or even tell if the bad batt is why you can't start.
I've been there and swore on this forum, my batt was fine and the klx was F'd up....well it was my batt..both times

Hook a car battery to the klx ..... if it wont start...post up

btw...you can put in a klx300 kickstart and not worry about this carp...if you like.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

www.batterytender.com <<<- one of those and your battery will last for ever!

well almost for ever

Old 03-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

and they even make pink ones...lol for deej hehehe

Old 03-12-2010, 06:34 AM

Get a new battery! I did and she started right up!