Hey guys! Back, and with another problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Hey guys! Back, and with another problem

Alright, I know how you guys love hearing about my bike problems but I can't figure this out.

Name:  EZX0B.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  94.0 KB

Around the red where I circled in the above picture, it is wet with coolant. I have a big bore 351. It's not dripping wet, but wet enough that I could see the green of the coolant.

Enjoy the weather everyone!

Old 03-17-2012, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

There is a small drain hole in the upper circle. Is there any coolant coming out of it? If you search "weep hole" you will find a post from IDRIDER about that very thing.

Last edited by redpillar; 03-17-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
There is a small weep hole in the upper circle. Is there any coolant coming out of it?
What is the function of the weep hole? That actually could be it, and it could just be collecting around the gasket there making me think it is coming around that area. I'll double check.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

jhoffy,
I occasionally get a little coolant weep out of the hole in the upper circle in your pic. The only thing I can figure is that the head is just a tad porous because nothing else seems to be "broken." The problem has decreased with more riding. Here's a post I started on it that may give you some ideas. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...housing-34106/

Old 03-17-2012, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
What is the function of the weep hole?
It allows fluids collected into the spark plug area to drain out.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Scott, How is your morning?
JoHoffy< How many hours on your bike since you last took it apart?

Old 03-17-2012, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks Scott, I actually googled klx 250 weep hole and was reading your post before you posted in this thread.

I'm going to wash the bike off real good and drain the coolant and refill and then go from there. I'll keep an eye out for it but it doesn't appear to be serious. I can't imagine that the head is cracked or anything of that measure. I did read somewhere that this can occur after washing your bike. Yesterday I did about 5 hours of muddy trail riding and thoroughly washed my bike afterwards with a pressure washer (making sure not to get any water in the airbox or exhaust. I'm thinking this could play a role.

Off the top of anyone's head, what is the procedure for draining and replacing coolant? I have an 06, I'm sure it's just as simple as removing the radiator cap and unscrewing the drain plug somewhere and then replacing with whatever the capacity is listed in the service manual.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe there is a bit of a leak at one of the hose clamps when the system is hot and pressurized. Instead of draining the whole system, maybe replace the somewhat cheesy hose clamps Kawi uses or at least give them a bit of a tighten up.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
Maybe there is a bit of a leak at one of the hose clamps when the system is hot and pressurized. Instead of draining the whole system, maybe replace the somewhat cheesy hose clamps Kawi uses or at least give them a bit of a tighten up.

This ^^ could also be part of the issue with mine, since the leak has nearly ceased completely.

redpillar - morning is okay, thanks for asking. Still crutching around for at least a few more weeks. Heading in to the office in a bit to get some billable time in. I would really like to be riding the KLX, or at least getting some wrenching done to the KLR, but that just isn't in the cards yet. I lent the KLR off to my bro for now so he can work on getting his rider's endorsement. The poor KLX is setting in the garage feeling neglected .

Old 03-17-2012, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad you are healing ok. I got mine back together last night.

Quick Reply: Hey guys! Back, and with another problem