HELP won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default HELP won't start!

I put my battery in and it cranked real slow, then it died ? I used the deej method for storing it.
So I got out my charger(2amp trickel,40 amp fast charge and 200ampjumpstart) I jumped it and it started right up.

So anyway I let it trickle charge so I thought but It was on fast charge 40 amp about half an hour. when I went to check on it the battery was hissen. I took every thing off and it was dead,so I got a newbattery and installed it.

So now when I go to start it, it crankes and starts but as soon as I let go of the starter button it die's,can any one help me with this problem?

Old 04-24-2007, 02:55 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HELP won't start!

Is the gas on? Sometimes there is enough to get the bike to start but not run. I know stupid question, but you never know. If its on, then check the fuses, I'm not sure, but I read somewhere that a blown fuse can break the run circuit. Let us know what you find out. You might also check out the starter switch itself, maybe there is something in there that broke or got burned up.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking fuse or something because it ran fine when I jumped it, the problem came about when I over charged the battery. It is definitely running untill I release the starter button, it's actinglike a kill switch? what fusecould blow by over charging the battery and where would I look for it?

I should have just rode it to charge it up!

Old 04-24-2007, 04:52 AM

I think the battery drained over the winter, and the carger damaged it. If hte battery was hissing, it was being charged too quickly and internally starting to overheat. The battery charger might have been too powerful for use on motorcycle batteries. I'm thinking a 0.5amp trickle charge is more typical. Get a $40 Battery Tendor Jr. and keep your battery plugged in year round (if it's stored in a garage) when your not using it. An SAE connector comes with it that you attach directly from the battery. I have one for eac hof my 2 bikes. THe Jr model is safe ot use on ALL tpyes of batteries, even the special BMW gel batteries.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:21 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Do not use the bike to charge the battery!! I repeat do not do that! One its hard on the stator, and two if you ride it, you're taking a chance on killing the bike when it has to work that hard. Get a battery tender. I wired in the plug right to the battery, and then you can just hook it up one day a week, or if you want you can wire in a 12 v plug so all you have to do if the bike has sat for a week or so, is to just push in the cord and it tops off the bike, makes it soooooo easy to charge. Plus it gives you a 12v plug to charge a cell phone, or air pump or a gps. Here are a few pics.

Name:  100_5945.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  130.2 KB

Jumper cables
Name:  100_5946.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  118.5 KB

Name:  100_5942.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  100_5932.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  82.8 KB

Old 04-24-2007, 11:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah you cooked the battery good. Sounds to me like there is no fuel getting to the engine. I'd check
1. Fuel in tank?
2. Fuel tap on?
3. Fuel running? Turn off tap, pull hose off, turn tap on just enough to see if fuel is running
4. Fuel in good condition? How long was the bike stored? Maybe needs some fresh stuff
5. Carbie gummed up fromold fuel? Drain the float bowl and try fresh fuel
If it's none of that ask again cause theres more good luck

Old 04-24-2007, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm good on the gas, it was running pretty good when I jump startedit. I filled it before I put it awat for the winter about 4 months ago. The problem started after I over charged the battery. It wont stay running even with a new battery. the problem seems to be electrical? Could there be a fuse that could blow. I cant find one any where?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:46 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JERSEY
So now when I go to start it, it crankes and starts but as soon as I let go of the starter button it die's
This is why I think it's not electrical IMO if you "crank it and it starts but as soon as I let go of the starter button it die's" there is only either a lack of fuel or air or the incorrect mixture will prevent it from running.
If it was a fuse it would not start at all
If it was the starter switch it would not even crank or it would crank intermittently
If it was the kill switch it wouldn't start
If it was one of the safety switches it would start and run until you tried to release the clutch (or it wouldn't start at all)
Of course it's difficult to diagnose over the internet [&:]
Good luck

Old 04-25-2007, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I know it the weirdest thing, as long as I hold the starter it runs. With the choke on it revs to 4000rpm, I can even rev it up with starter button in, but as soon as I let it go it shuts off?

I'm thinking I'll mess around with it alittle more, I'll probable end up taking it to the shop[sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 04-26-2007, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

pull the plug, if it is anything like my old dirtbike it is fouled

Quick Reply: HELP won't start!