HELP WITH SMOG REMOVEL

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 11:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Default HELP WITH SMOG REMOVEL

JUST PURCHASED 07 KLX AND HAVE READ THE FORUMS ON SMOG REMOVAL AND TALKED TO MY DEALER ABOUT IT. THERE IS NOT ENOUGH DETAIL IN THE FORUMS FOR ME TO UNDERSTAND ALL THAT IS INVOLVED WITH THIS PROCESS. PLEASE HELP!

Old 08-25-2007, 12:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HELP WITH SMOG REMOVEL

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...91&page=50
Here ya go, scroll down a bit, pictures and everything the guy posted

Old 08-25-2007, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

This showes you what you have to remove. The part by the exhaust header just shove a bolt into the hose and your all set. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...91&page=50

You beat me to it lol

Old 08-25-2007, 02:38 PM

Hadn't planned to remove the smog gear, but your photos made it so easy I went ahead and did it out of boredom. Took about 5 minutes. Wouldn't have any photos ofa coronary bypass, would you? I've got a buddy who is scheduled for one, and with the quality of your pictures, I just know I could do his surgery. A few tarps thrown down in the garage, a drill press, sawzall, a quart of cheap gin, and some loud ZZ Top to drown out the screams and I'm in business.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Wasn't my pictures, but check this out! Someone organized all of the discussion on mods for this bike in that thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1645

Old 08-25-2007, 09:00 PM

So what exactly does this do? I've been thinking about doing it myself. Does it help the bike to run cooler or is it suppose it improve power/performance?

Old 08-25-2007, 09:06 PM

Mod reduces (a bit) internal crankcase pressure from downward stroke of the piston by more readily passing the compressing air into the air box. Result: less internal resistance due to air compression inside the motor and a "freer" spinning motor. Anything you can do to cut resistance in the engine results in greater torque/ horsepower. You can feel the improvement--just a little. Or, perhaps it is all imaginary and we do it just to feel better about our miserable, pointless lives.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:25 AM

Any chance it will help the bike to run cooler? I can't believe how much the fan comes on in tight trails.
Guess I'm going to give it a go either way, might as well try.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:18 PM

Some guys use a so-called super-collant like "Engine Ice." But remember, design engineers put those fans on the bike to compensate for exactly the situation you are experiencing--reduced air flow at slower, sustained speeds. If your fans were coming on out on the highway, then you have a problem, probably thermostats or a short. These mods we have discussed should have zero effect on engine temps, unless you are running the wrong plug or are WAY too lean. Restricted coolant flow can also be a problem--but rare unless there is an anomaly. I'm no expert, but I've been riding 40 years and I'd guess that your bike is just fine. Others can chime in here with their experience.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:27 PM

One more thing: AsI re-read this string, I may not have properly addressed your initial question of smog gear (or air valve) removal. I was responding to the crankcase mod, which does have some impact on performance. Junking the smog gear does not really have an effect, beyond slapping back at environmental goofballs who need to find legitimate work, like trimming brush from fire trails.

Quick Reply: HELP WITH SMOG REMOVEL