help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

i have checked the valves and all is well. i have tried 3 different new batterys. i ordered a new starter should be here monday so hopefully it fixes it.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:27 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Keep us updated. Your situation sounds a little different than the more common starting issues we sometimes see here.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

ok so new starter put in and no change on how it cranks over. so for the heck of it i put the exhaust cam that was in the bike in the first place. and after i put it in it cranked over like it should i was puzzled but i think i may have found it but i still need some help as i still dont fully understand this motor yet. ok here it is. when i pulled the cam gear cover off to replace it with the first one i think all the oil went down to the bottom of the engine as i put it back together and cranked it at first it was all good but after a few crankes to it was when it built oil pressure back up it cranked hard could the internal filter or relief valve be something to look into??????? tks

Old 06-03-2013, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

OK, square one....
Doubt if the oil pump pumping against zero flow would bog the starter. But I guess it is a positive displacement pump, so technically if it was seized it could drag the starter, but did you mess with it on the rebuild?
Take the plug out and see if the starter will turn the engine over at normal rpms. If not, something is locked up inside. Cam tension adjuster, rag in the crank, broken ring is gouging the cylinder, .....???
If it turns over properly, I suspect your cams are way out of adj. Did you crank the engine when you installed the BB?

Old 06-03-2013, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

no i did not touch the pump and it is pumping oil to the top end. with the plug ouy it seems to crank just fine. so today when i got home i checked the timing again and its good. and rechecked the valves all is good there as well. i think what ever it is its something realy simple im just missing it but i have checked all the above.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member

could one exhaust valve being .001 different than the other couse it to crank hard idk if this motor is that close

Old 06-04-2013, 10:43 AM
1st Gear Member

can chain tensioner ?? you have the stocker ?

it maybe to tight pull it out and reset it place it back in and see if it changes

Old 06-04-2013, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

yes its the stock adjuster for chain.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

hmm... if it were mechanical it would probably run badly if at all.

since you have tried known good batteries try this, take a set of jumper cables and hook one black one on the negative battery terminal and hook the other end to a nice big ground point on the bike and see if the bike turns over better.

If it does you have a bad ground for the battery.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow! This is an amazing thread! You need 1) A factory manual 2) Torque wrenches that go as low as 87 in. lbs. 3) The ability to read and follow directions correctly 4) Patience
It's exhaust cam timing.

Some of what I just read is pretty sad. You older guys might want to pitch in here. When something said is wrong or dumb, say so. This has gotten way to P.C. for me.

When you pull out your plug you are accomplishing what the ACR does when the ex. cam is properly timed. I'm praying for you. Really.

Last edited by duncanblake; 06-18-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Quick Reply: help needed