Old 05-23-2013, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm going with.......bad ground

Old 05-24-2013, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Why the new exhaust cam?

Old 05-25-2013, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Could the exhaust cam timing be off? I think I've read that enough cam chain stretch can change the exhaust cam timing enough to affect the ACR's timing and make the bike hard to start. I think Dan Moore spoke about it on his wonderful forum. Thank you Dan.
Hard cranking? My money says battery or Ex. cam timing. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Rockabill SM: Bad ground? Good thinking. Zippets: Crank it w/o spark plug? Another good idea. You guys impress me. I'm always impressed when some one see's something I don't.
These are 2 simple (and free) tests, easy for any one, that you HAVE TO DO before you even think about asking for help. You guys are smart. I REALLY LIKE SMART PEOPLE.

Last edited by duncanblake; 05-25-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks alot for the info. All grounds are good battery is not dead. Replaced the exhaust cam becouse the owner befor me messed with the acr spring. Bike cranks over just fine with no spark plug. And timing is right as well. As far as I know the only thing done to this bike was the pumper carb and big bore kit as I bought the bike used. Rode it one summer and now have this problem with the bike. I have not yet checked the valve clearance which I plan to do this weekend.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:45 AM
1st Gear Member

The battery is shot.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by duncanblake
Rockabill SM: Bad ground? Good thinking. Zippets: Crank it w/o spark plug? Another good idea. You guys impress me. I'm always impressed when some one see's something I don't.
These are 2 simple (and free) tests, easy for any one, that you HAVE TO DO before you even think about asking for help. You guys are smart. I REALLY LIKE SMART PEOPLE.
I like smart people too. But you know how I learned about bad cranking? I had a truck that wouldn't start for weeks because it had a ground cable of yes, I repeat yes 10 gauge wire -.-. Switched out for actual ground cable and the bitch fired up! Sometimes its the simple things in life

Old 05-26-2013, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks RbSM. Smokey Yunick talked about weak ground paths from the block to the frame. It's something I had never even thought about. Think about the path of current from the electrode, across the "plug gap" to the side electrode, to the head, to the.....? How does it get back to the negative side of the battery? If you want the most current in ANY circuit you have to remove all the resistance. Dirty nut and bolt connections, paint, rust etc. all the way from the battery's positive terminal, through what ever you're powering and back to the battery's negative terminal. Hey! Let's find the guy who put that 10 ga. ground cable on your truck, Attach a 6 foot 10 ga. ground cable that is wrapped around the guy's "body" and see how it cranks over?

Old 05-26-2013, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member

as other have said above I would look at the battery. it might have a dead cell and not turning the engine over very well. Battery on my ninja did that about two years ago.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

OK here it is i just got done doing the mercelo mod
and put it all back together and WOW the motor cranked very slow
whats wrong i couldn't figure out what i did wrong

so i happened to read that you had to rest the cam chain tensioner
sure enuff i did not do this and i had way to much tension on the cam chain
i pulled it out reset it installed it BAM that was the problem

so i say give that a try

Quick Reply: help needed