help my horepower

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation help my horepower

Please help my 2009 klx250s! Since my bike has a cvk carb it has no low end power. I have installed a full fmf exhaust ( sounds great ) with my air box lid off and it will not and can't evan spin a tire on the road or do a wheelie. Is there anymods i can do with the economy the way it is and with me being low on money? If i go down to a 13 tooth is the front it would increase my power right?

Old 02-14-2010, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member

You gotta re-jet your carb. You were lean to start with now it's worse with the pipe and no lid.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

the 13 tooth front won't increase your power. All it does is get you up in the rpm range quicker.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:10 AM
1st Gear Member

The jetting kit will help a lot- the kit includes a mod to the cv carb to make it open a little faster. The 13 t is a must I think to get the motor to run in its power band better.

I was not happy with the power till I did a 331 kit and fcr carb, then the klx has plenty of power.

But the jetting kit is not a lot of money- the 13 t should be $20. They will make a BIG difference.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Full exhaust, jetting, and 13t front sprocket like said is a good start with the 250.

Unfortunately if you want a big difference you'll have to get more displacement.

FORTUNATELY the 351 kit is cheap enough and easy enough to do.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:31 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Oddly, I don't find the KLX250 that bad once you do the exhaust, airbox, and jetting. It's absolutely anemic until then, and if you didn't rejet after a pipe, it's only worse. I raced open class 2-stroke Huskys back in the day, so I'm used to some decent power. While the KLX is no barn-burner, it has tremendously useful power for trail work. The bottom-end is really strong once all the mods are done. I'm also of the opinion that it's not worth doing a full exhaust without pulling out the wire mesh from the airbox. That's usually estimated at about 25-35% blockage right there. I have a full Muzzy exhaust with mine, and the opened up airbox and Dynojet kit make for a good punch.

It's a 4-stroke 250, so it runs out of steam pretty quick on the highway. If I wanted a road bike, however, I just ride my KLR650. Completely revalving my fork and shock are what really made this bike come alive. I don't care how much power you have available. If you can't get it to the ground effectively, it's worthless.

All that said, I'll definitely up the displacement the first time I have to tear into my '06 for any engine work.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I'm also of the opinion that it's not worth doing a full exhaust without pulling out the wire mesh from the airbox. That's usually estimated at about 25-35% blockage right there.

I'm also, also of that opinion....

Even with stock exhaust that helped my KLeeneX noticeably. I'm riding at 6000 feet and up, so the extra air is needed.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Hmm, I still have my air screen.. I think I shall pull it and see what happens. I know I'm running more on the rich side so it shouldn't be a prob.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I have rejetted, put an exhaust on, airbox lid off and uni filter. BUT I did not remove the mesh screen. Is it really 25percent restriction? If thats the case, my airbox will be out tomorrow night and I will be deleting the screen.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1broncoman!
Please help my horepower
Are you kidding me? No one commented on this!? LMAO!

Wear sluttier clothes and stand closer to the street corners edge....that will help. Don't forget to grab those crack pipe power ups. That will increase horepower 20% a clip.

Quick Reply: help my horepower