help me change my front sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Default help me change my front sprocket

Just tried to undo that sprocket. I had my young fella (he is only 7) standing on the brake while the bike is in gear. Using an extension bar i was tried to undo that nasty nut, but only ended up turning the sprocket -yes even with the brake on.

Any suggestions,.....and no, i do not have a rattle gun.

cheers

Old 11-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Default RE: help me change my front sprocket

FORGET IT -...IT IS OFF NOW. i JUST USED A LARGE SHIFTERIN THE REAR DISC THAT WAS BUTTED AGAINST THE CALIPER - THAT STOPPE DTHE WHEEL MOVING.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Good job, necessity is the mother of inventions. bastards really on there though isnt it....

Old 11-02-2007, 11:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I found on mine that the teeth on the bent washer were being crushed up inside the nut freezing it on the shaft. I had to have someone stand on the brake pedal and I had a 4 foot bar to take it off every time. And thats with having it properly torqued! This time I flattened the teeth so they went in the splines and hit everything with anti sieze compound. We'll see how it goes next time.....

Old 11-02-2007, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I was in a small town close to a wellsite i was working at and went in to a canadian tire with a buddy i was working with, to buy random stuff to keep us amused since it was a slow job. I found an electric impact wrench on sale for 75 bucks. Didn't even have to mess with that bent washer to get it off, a couple clacks of the wrench and she was done. Brilliant find since I have to do my brothers too, and I'm sure my uncle and cousins would want their done as well.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:34 PM

air tools are a beautifull thing.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

+1, unfortunately mines electric so it doesnt sound cool. But you are right, air tools are super cool

Old 11-03-2007, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Mine did the same thing as bryantjt, with the bent in lock washer. I used the braker bar and it started to round off the nut. I had to go to the local repair shop and it impact hammered right off. New nut and lock washer $13.00

Old 11-04-2007, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

had my buddy press / stand on the brake..key is to loosen the nut before jacking up the bike, that way the weight of the bike also helps to keep the sprocket from turning....also used a strong arm and impact socket (6-pt)....have since purchased aforementioned electric impact wrench from crappy tire.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Order a new nut and get out the dremel tool: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_172752/tm.htm

Quick Reply: help me change my front sprocket