HELP! LED tech support...FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HELP! LED tech support..FIXED

ORIGINAL: dacoontz

Thanks for this. I had this exact question, and PMed deej, and BAM here it is. I am sure this isn't a coincidence. Either way, this is perfect. Only question I have though is will this fix the fast blinking problem or do you still have to put the resistors in somewhere and did you use a soldering iron to make the connections with the diodes or just electrical tape.
#1. I used an LED flasher unit from Lockhart-Phillips which comes with an OEM connector. $12. Stock flash speed.
2. I soldered all the connections to save space and shrink tubed them.

And on the diodes...Silver ring goes toward the socket.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:18 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I had a similar but different problem when I replaced my stock instrument panel bulbs with LED "equivalents". When I replaced the incandescent bulb an LED bulb in for the blinker panel indicator, it only blinked when one side was on, say left. That's because an LED is a diode and only flows current in one direction. As you have discovered, when you turn the blinkers on for the left, current flows in one direction through the panel bulb and when you turn them on to the right, current flows through the panel bulb in the opposite direction. The incandescent bulb doesn't care, it's happy regardless of current flow direction. But when I replaced the bulb with an LED "equivalent", it only lit up when the signal was indicating left.

To fix it, I installed a second LED "equivalent" bulb wired opposite the first but in parallel which is similar to the way your diodes are wired, and then I had a left panel indicator as well as a right panel indicator similar to a car, instead of just one. That was back when I had my Vapor installed and I didn't have the stock panel anyway, so adding another panel indicator was easy.

Anyway, I guess that was a clue as to how the signal lights were wired.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

wanna hear a funny/.....after reading an earlier thread about forgetting to turn off your signal lites and some of the ideas in there, i thought it would be neat to have an indicator lite (or two) on the dash to tell you when your signal lite is on, so off i went and bought two panel LEDs (even bought green for the kawi colors and all), came home and was all excited to add these turn signal indicators to the bike when i noticed..we already have an indicator lite!!!!!!!! I nevcer even noticed it before! Probably because the chin guard of the helmet blocks your downward vision of the luster unless you intentionally look down to see it. Man am i stupid...the two LEDs are still in my toolbox, i just can't figure out what i will use them for.[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 02-15-2008, 04:34 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dacoontz

Thanks for this. I had this exact question, and PMed deej, and BAM here it is. I am sure this isn't a coincidence. Either way, this is perfect. Only question I have though is will this fix the fast blinking problem or do you still have to put the resistors in somewhere and did you use a soldering iron to make the connections with the diodes or just electrical tape.
Yea I got your PM on the Blackberry, but I had to wait until I got home to answer. So while I got the PM and was flattered that you asked me, I am sorry to say I didn't know the answer. I'm not as smart as I look, and that's not very good. Tony is an awesome problem solver, I knew with a little coaxing, he would get this done in short order. I have to say, if I was ever marooned on an island, I would want him there with me. In a non broke back way of course.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

No worries, I realized after I PMed you that this thread was currently running, like I said what a coincidence. I figured if you didn't have the answer you would know where to get it, so thanks anyway. I thought for a second you magically made the thread appear. Anyway, I started thte mods last night following tony's little picture map, but didn't quite finish. I hope the soldering doesn't have to be perfectly clean because i suck at it, but I am fairly certain the connections were made and tomorrow I will test his directions and see if I get the same results. I'll let you all know and confirm tony's discovery.