HELP! LED tech support...FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HELP! LED tech support

ORIGINAL: a16tony

Diodes make sense. Now if I'm thinking correctly, I would need one diode for each each leg of the dash indicator, or it would only flash for one direction . But in my head I feel they will cancel each other out by breaking continuity. Remember, as far as I can tell, without a diagram, the dash lamp is bridged between right and left circuits.
I believe that you are correct in assuming that you would need a diode for each leg. Because you have to stop the current from backfeeding on both sides.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I've got it.

I don't have the ability to scan this in for a good visual, so I'll walk you through.

1. draw a picture of a bulb (circle with spiky hair) lol.
2. add two downward line(leads), label them 'A' left lead, 'B' right lead.
3. now make the 'A' lead go to ground.
4. the 'B' lead will get both 'RIGHT' and 'LEFT' leads which came to the bulb originally , except now, you add a diode to each lead and terminate both diodes to the 'B' lead.

Anybody know what size diode I'll need?

Pilot, what size resistor did you use with the stock flasher?

Old 02-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Tony sounds like you are on the right track, but I wish you lived closer to me, I would let you try my trick flasher. It fixed my quick flashing turn signals, but I think somewhere in the instructions it said it would fix what you are describing as well. Let us know what you do. Funny since I installed the stock turns back on and left the ones in the hand guards and the flush mount fender lights I probably don't need the trick flasher, but I can still pick 5 different flash sequences. Its all good. Like I said before if 4 blinkers are good, 8 have to be better right?

Old 02-14-2008, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

These are the ones I used: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

They worked like a charm.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I used a 2 amp resistor since I was only adding LED's to the front. Had I had LED's in the rear too I would have used a 4 amp
Here is the one I used. It's the 4810
http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm
Look that site over, they have a lot of neat stuff!

Old 02-14-2008, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

if the LEDS were laid out right then i'd see no need for a diode because LED's are "light emitting diodes"

Old 02-14-2008, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang

These are the ones I used: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

They worked like a charm.
WOW! just pick up the same. lol

Old 02-14-2008, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kohburn

if the LEDS were laid out right then i'd see no need for a diode because LED's are "light emitting diodes"
The problem is not the LED's, but the incandesant bulb in the instrument cluster. It is connected between the two circuit and allowing the excess current transfer between the Right and Left systems. The two diodes will stop/check the backfeed.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HELP! LED tech support..FIXED

Diodes installed, and all lights work great. I took some pics...well technically they are pics, just not very good.

I will make a detailed report next week when I'm all finished. And will include these crappy pictures. lol

Thanks for all the help guys. We have tackled the "four LED lamp"(w/single dash light) issue.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HELP! LED tech support..FIXED

Thanks for this. I had this exact question, and PMed deej, and BAM here it is. I am sure this isn't a coincidence. Either way, this is perfect. Only question I have though is will this fix the fast blinking problem or do you still have to put the resistors in somewhere and did you use a soldering iron to make the connections with the diodes or just electrical tape.

Quick Reply: HELP! LED tech support...FIXED